monitor playing up ]previous topic]

algo mas 13:29 16 Nov 2008

Hello again!

My monitor, a different one, is doing the same thing,flashing different colours horizontally. I tried another monitor but the same thing happened.
So as suggested before it is probably the graphics card.Could it have worked loose etc. Any suggestions please?Also why is it playing up again after 6 weeks on a different screen?

If I change the graphics card,how do I install the software if I cannot see the screen?
Thanks.

howard64 14:16 16 Nov 2008

most graphic cards will give plain vga without their own driver installed so you should get a basic screen. I would lift the card out - check that no dust or hairs have entered the slot and put it back in again.

woodchip 14:19 16 Nov 2008

Remove the card with the 13amp plug from socket, then refit it

johndrew 14:25 16 Nov 2008

It could be bad connections on your graphics card, try re-seating it.

To do this, switch off your PC and disconnect at the mains socket. Open your PC and identify the graphics card. Carefully release it from its slot, look for any damage and refit it. A full general description is click here

This guide will give more information on both removing the existing card and, if necessary, replacing it with a new item click here. This for any drivers (Nvidia) click here

algo mas 13:53 17 Nov 2008

Thanks to you all again!
I removed all my cables. What a mess and hoovered the inside of the case including the main fan. Then removed the graphics card and cleaned its fan by blowing on it.Amazing how much fluff and dust gets on your jumper [no pun intended].Anyway after reconnecting everything, I am pleased to say I can use my computer! how long this will last is anyones guess as this is the first time I have ever opened a computer up.
Thanks again.
Algo mas.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?