Monitor not picking up output from graphic card

FreddyNoFriends 03:28 01 Sep 2008

Hi all

I bought my Mum a new computer from Dell a few weeks ago and finally got around to going to see her to help setting it up. She has an Inspiron 530 core 2 quad core machine running Vista home premium SP1 32bit edition, has a 128mb ATI Radeon 2400 pro graphic card installed, and a Dell 1680x1050 E228WFP 22 inch monitor.

I've tried connecting the new monitor to the graphic card with both the analog cable and an HDMI cable and neither work.

The monitor runs its own test pattern OK and knows when it's been connected to a computer because it swithes from test patter to standby and tells me to move the mouse or hit a keyboard button - but it simply wont pick up a signal.
The thing is, the new monitor works fine on my mums old computer!

I've gone through the monitor menu and tried it in digital, analog and auto detect - nothing.
I've run through the Dell online tech support procedure several times, tried updating the graphics drivers, etc, etc, and simply cant get it to work.

My mum is currently using her old 19" monitor connected to the motherboard graphic output via an analog cable (it has no digital input) And yet the same analog output wont work on the new monitor.

I've emailed Dell for help, but despite having spent several hours trying all sorts of things to fix this, I cant help feeling that maybe the graphics card is broken. Or am I missing something really simple that will resolve this issue? Anyone got any ideas?

FreddyNoFriends 03:50 01 Sep 2008

The new monitor worked fine on my mums old computer but now it wont work on either new or old machine. Wierd...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017