Monitor Jargon and what does it meen.

Jameslayer 21:45 13 Jun 2009

Does anyone else feel they are falling behind with the times. When i first started using computers life seemed so much easier. The bigger the number the better. And what should you be looking for. I just see a load of numbers. So if anyone nows a site that explains everything and says what u are looking for these days. would be very helpfull.

Specification Value
Product Description LG W2242T - LCD display - TFT - 22"
Device Type LCD display / TFT active matrix
Dimensions (WxDxH) 51.6 cm x 20.9 cm x 41.8 cm
Weight 4.7 kg
Diagonal Size 22" - widescreen
Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.282 mm
Max Resolution 1680 x 1050
Display Positions Adjustments Swivel, tilt
Colour support 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
Response Time 5 ms
Image Brightness 300 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 8000:1 (dynamic)
Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Signal Input DVI-D, VGA
Compliant Standards TCO '03, FCC Class B certified, CE, UL, TUV GS, cUL, SEMKO
Power Consumption Operational 40 Watt
Environmental Standards EPA Energy Star

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:11 13 Jun 2009

Response time seems a bit slow at 5 milliseconds I hope you meant 5 nano seconds.

Most of it makes complete sense to me except for the centimeteres, afraid I was brought up with feet and inches :0)

Jameslayer 22:19 13 Jun 2009

Thats a copy and paste from the site. Link to monitor. click here

rdave13 22:22 13 Jun 2009

Response time seems ok in ms. If you have the inclination to read this then it might explain a few things; click here

keverne 22:25 13 Jun 2009

This might help click here

phono 22:34 13 Jun 2009

"Response time seems a bit slow at 5 milliseconds I hope you meant 5 nano seconds."

A response time of 5ms for an LCD display is perfectly acceptable, you would need to be talking in nanoseconds for plasma displays though.

Jameslayer 14:52 16 Jun 2009

rdave most of your link went over myhead but i found daconnor more at my level and it explained a lot of things.

Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch-- How far apart the pixels are.

Max Resolution-- The max resulation the monitor is capable of.

Colour-- The number of colours it can produce. Higher is better.

Response time-- How quickly a pixel can change colour. Lower response time is better. No industry standerd on how to measure it though.

Image Brightness-- Higher the better but recomended brightness is 120 in normal lighting.

Image Contrast-- Higher the better but when stated using dynamic etc allows this in certain situations.

Think I have got to grips with it all. Still not 100% sure of what the minimum number i am looing for is though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?