MONITOR HELP!!!!!! Wont work on my PC

cheerup347 10:21 25 Oct 2007

hi,

my other computer (the important one) has jsut moved rooms, i took out the monitor cable as usual and went to go and plug it in, it had one of the screws/nut things attached to it where it had been screwed in too tight, and taken it out.

i screwed it back in as much as i could and then tried to boot up the monitor with my computer. the monitor said 'check cable' when the cabel wasnt inserted and as soon as i inserted it to a dead computer the screen went blank as if the computer had jsut bene turned off.

then when i turned the computer on there was notihng, only a flashing light and a blank screen.

i tried it with the new monitpr on this computer and still nothing.

i REALLY need help with this and how i can it working again. ive tried wiggling it to make the connection but notihng. its definitely the socked in the computer than having the problems.

if you have any suggestions or know what culd havwe caused this please advice me on how to do so.

thanks very much

farfromit 10:32 25 Oct 2007

Hi ,
With all your wiggling of the socket , there may be a chance you have dislodged the graphics card.When this happens on mine I get 3 beeps.
Open up the case and check it is secure.

silverous 10:32 25 Oct 2007

It sounds like either some damaged pins on the cable connector OR perhaps the screw being on too tight and subsequent removal has damaged the monitor connector on the graphics card/mother board.

If you have tried a different monitor (and cable I presume) then it points to the graphics connector being damaged somehow. Is it a separate card ? Or on the motherboard? Can you swap the graphics card (if it has one) out of your other PC into this one to try?

cheerup347 10:36 25 Oct 2007

hi,

no its connected to the motherboard i think.

can i buy a graphics card with a new monitor 'socket' on it? are they expensive.

will it matter haign 2 monitor sockets on 1 motherboard without using 1?

what are the PCI cards called?

thanks

cheerup347 10:36 25 Oct 2007

hi,

no its connected to the motherboard i think.

can i buy a graphics card with a new monitor 'socket' on it? are they expensive.

will it matter haign 2 monitor sockets on 1 motherboard without using 1?

what are the PCI cards called?

thanks

silverous 11:03 25 Oct 2007

It depends how good you want the card to be. You can probably pick one up at PC World for 20 odd pounds.

silverous 11:04 25 Oct 2007

I am assuming the motherboard/BIOS will automatically use an inserted graphics card...the problem might be that you have to go into the BIOS to tell it to use the new card which will be tricky as you can't see the BIOS with new monitor.... I may have that wrong. Best wait for some more knowledgable hardware chaps to comment too.

cheerup347 14:06 25 Oct 2007

hi,

so if i went and bought a new .....pci card (what is it)?

it may or may not automatically use that monitor port thing?

what card will i need? (just need it to run any type of monitor.

can anyone confirm that this wil/wil not work.?

is there anyway to actually sort this fault wiuthout a new card?

(id rather pay for the new card then get it fixed to be honest but as long as it will definitely work!)

silverous 15:11 25 Oct 2007

I strongly suspect a new card will fix it, a PCI Graphics Card (assuming your PC takes PCI cards) should suffice. The only question mark is whether the motherboard will default to using the graphics card. I just read somewhere that often adding a PCI card switches off the motherboard one, which would be great. You could look at it as a 27 quid gamble, then sell it on ebay if it doesn't work with little lost. Others may come along and give better more detailed advice!

umbongo(uk) 15:12 25 Oct 2007

cheerup first tell us what computer you have as there are different type of graphics card conection

if its a self made comp tell us make of motherboard
again so we can specifie what socket your using

right take the fixing lug of the moniter cable ,,youll need pair pliers ,screw driver

grip the lug with the pliers then unscrew ,now plug connecter back in the pc try to boot if its still dead then you may have killed the onboard grafix

can you also tell us what the computer is used for so we dont tell you to buy a card tht you wont fully utilise (ie a £200 8800gt in a machine tht only browse,s the web is a waste of money wherby a £20 6200 would sufice)

cheerup347 15:44 25 Oct 2007

hi,

i use the computer quite alot for music, internet and videos etc.

i have a foxcomm motherbaord anda inter duo processor.

it has 256mb graphics, i dotn think this is inbuilt because i have a PCI card with a TV Our type connection which looks the same as the blue monitor port but is on the PCI card.

how can the little screw/nut thing break the onboard graphics.

what card do i need? (i tihnk the graphics card i have, 256mb, is the card with the tv out socket)

thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017