monitor has a blue tinge

dobbin 14:25 07 Jun 2007

my monitor has developed a blue tinge. I thought it was on the way out and bought a new one but this does the same thing. Anyone have any suggestions.
running win xp home edition

wee eddie 14:32 07 Jun 2007

Are your Graphics, On-board or via a Card?

dobbin 14:38 07 Jun 2007

on board, don't have the details as it's my wife's computer which is at home. Just trying to advise her!

beynac 15:36 07 Jun 2007

I believe that the "PWS. Bluedit" trojan can have this effect: click here
click here

Here is a quote from someone I helped who had this on their computer: "Like when i browse the net or application such as msn , somtimes they goes out of "focus" , i mean the front page i am in turns light blue and i have to reclick on it to make it accesible again , same as msn , turns light blues and froze for 5 to 15 sec".

They had other infections as well but the trojan's name seems to indicate that this was to blame for the blue tinge. ;)

dobbin 16:06 07 Jun 2007

Beynac, this sounds likely, I will give it a try tonight when I get home

beynac 16:29 07 Jun 2007

Have a look and see if you have this file: C:\WINDOWS\NOTEDAD.EXE

Note that this is 'noteDad' not 'notePad'. If you have the file, then I suggest that you download HijackThis from here: click here

Double-click on the file to install it. Do a scan, save a log file and post it on the Malware Removal forum: click here (you will have to register first). When you post the log, mention the blue tinge (or post a link to this thread).

If you haven't got the file, then it is presumably something else causing your problem.

dobbin 16:57 07 Jun 2007

Thanks for the advice beynac, I will search Notedad first and if it's not there come back to you for more advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?