Monitor going to power save mode after boot up

madmariannes 20:29 19 Mar 2010

I have a mesh matrix pc circa 2004-5 running xp.

Lately, the (LG) monitor goes to power save mode after boot up, just before the login page should appear. I can make the monitor work fine if I start in safe mode. I have spent a lot of time looking at similar problems online, I have removed the computer's battery in the hope that this was the root of the problem. I have returned the computer to factory state but the problem recurs when the antivirus has to restart to finish initial installation. I have removed dust from the interior of the case. I left it alone for a couple of months, then fired it up today. Everything was fine at first, I had to reinstall Kaspersky cos my subscription had lapsed in the meantime. When the message came up 'restart computer to finish installation' I duly restarted only to find I was back at square one and the monitor is going back to power save mode after boot up at the same point as before.

Any help much appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:37 19 Mar 2010

"I can make the monitor work fine if I start in safe mode"

Update or uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers.

madmariannes 21:43 19 Mar 2010

I am unable to remove the nvidia display drivers in safe mode.... "the windows installer service could not be accessed"

Technotiger 22:17 19 Mar 2010

Run in safe mode 'with networking' then try the drivers again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:36 19 Mar 2010
  madmariannes 22:51 19 Mar 2010

I have reseated the graphics card and it appears to be ok again (phew!). I have updated the display drivers.

Many thanks for your swift responses.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017