Monitor goes to sleep

MarvintheAndroid 14:43 04 Jan 2009

Odd kittle problem, every now and then my monitor goes into standby mode while I'm using the PC, no key combinations seem to get it back and if I switch it iff and on there is no signal from the graphics card.

It has happened twice in three days, and happens occasionally from startup (i.e. when starting the PC the monitor doesn't awaken). The room it is in is very cold in the mornings, I wondered if this could be a factor.

The only way out is a full reboot (not even a soft boot).

Geforce 6800GT on AGP, MSI K8N Neo2 Plat, 2GB RAM, AMD 64 3800+. Power management on "minimal".

Any ideas ?

Marv

Fingees 15:40 04 Jan 2009

You might try re seating the video card.

I have known them to cause trouble due to cold, and tend to get effectively dirty contacts as the board shrinks.

Worth a try.

MarvintheAndroid 08:38 07 Jan 2009

Thanks, that worked. One of the clips was loose.

Marv

MarvintheAndroid 11:06 11 Jan 2009

Well, it did it again - the loose clip must have been coincidence.

I contacted MSI tech support and their reply was this beahviour is normal if the Northbridge gets too cold.

So now I have disconnected one of my side case fans, which blows directly onto the graphics card and passive Northbridge - I can reconnect it in the summer. My logic is that on cold mornings I would be blowing very cold air at a cold Northbridge chip. All the temps have jumped by a couple of degrees, but nothing critical.

My attempts to find an answer have found many other users with similar symptoms, perhaps this will help someone else. We'll see how we go.

Marv

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?