Monitor goes on and off during startup

eaurouge 10:19 05 Feb 2009

For the past few weeks, when I initially try to start my PC, it will turn on but the monitor just flashes on and off without displaying anything.

The beep works fine, and everything else sounds problem-free. It does seem to be loading up, just without showing things on the monitor (which just flashes on and off continuously).

I turn it off at the base unit and try again 3 or 4 times, and eventually the monitor will hold a signal and display the startup process, and everything works fine after this point. There is more chance of it starting fine if the PC has been turned on for a while, whereas if it has been left off (cold) for several hours the problem is more persistent.

I use Windows XP with SP3, graphics are onboard, and the monitor is a Viewsonic connected to the VGA slot, nothing in the DVI slot. Sadly not sure of any other technical specifications.

Can anyone think what this might be?

howard64 11:09 05 Feb 2009

you need to try this monitor with another pc and another monitor with this pc. This should sort out if this is a problem with the pc or the monitor. If your pc has a graphics card slot can you beg borrow or acquire a graphics card to put in and see if this makes a difference. It could be the graphics card driver of your mobo has got confused and needs replacing.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?