monitor goes blank after 5 seconds

said76 05:03 11 Sep 2008

Hi,

I was wondering if i could get some help here with my monitor.

This is what happens to it.

It shows something on the screen for about 5 secs and then goes blank even with the power still on. When i turned the power off and turned it back on again, it shows something again for about 5 secs and then goes blank. It'd be like that if the power was turned on and off, on and off.

I wonder if anyone know what to cause the monitor to behave like that.

It is an Dell brand monitor

Thank you in advance

Technotiger 08:07 11 Sep 2008

A bit more information needed - what Operating System like XP/Vista, what is the 'something' that appears for about five seconds, how long has this been going on, and tell us about your computer - is it laptop or desktop, what RAM has it got etc.

Eric10 10:55 11 Sep 2008

This is a classic symptom of a failed inverter in the monitor. The inverter is responsible for powering the screen's back-light tubes which are needed to display the picture.
Another test for a failed inverter is to shine a torch across the screen at an angle and you will be able to make out a very faint image. If it is an expensive monitor and you have any technical/practical skills then this can be repaired. However, if you have to rely on a professional repair or your monitor is several years old then you may be better advised to just buy a new one.

I found this site useful with videos showing Dell monitors being stripped down click here and click here for a UK source of inverters.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Nokia 8 vs Galaxy S8

Best new design books 2017: From vintage infographics to the the psychology of type

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie