Monitor Flickering & driving me crazy..!

perpetual motion 22:35 20 Mar 2009

Hi guys ive got a 2 yr old GNR monitor & the after sales service is TERRIBLE in fact the company Dont exsist anymore but when they did they was terrible, shame really its my 6 yr old son's pc monitor, ok its on a P4 2.8ghz Xp Pro pc & ive just formatted it, the monitor is driving me crazy cause its flickering at high speeds, ive been told to update my Bios BUT the motherboard is a ASUS but I CANNOT find the Bios update??

here are some details of this pc in case anyone knows the location of the Bios update.?

Refresh screen
Specifications
HP Pavilion 061
System Model: DT191A-ABU t450.uk
BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. 3.28

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 3.0
PID: 55274-OEM-0046506-28352
Hot Fix: KB967715

Memory (RAM)
Capacity: 1 GB

Processor
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Version: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
Speed: 2800 MHz

General Computer Info
System Name: me
Domain: WORKGROUP
Time Zone: GMT Standard Time
Connection: Workstation (standalone)
Proxy Server: Auto
IP Address: .~~~.
IPX Address: Not Enabled

MAJ 22:55 20 Mar 2009

You wont need a BIOS update, who told you that you do? Am I correct in assuming that this is a flat panel monitor as opposoed to a CRT monitor? If so, chances are there could be one of two things wrong. Either the refresh rate is incorrect or the monitor's power supply is on the blink (I had a similar problem with my own last week and had to buy a new power supply for it). Go into the monitor's settings and check the refresh rate. If it seems okay, check the monitor power supply otput voltage using a meter, they're usually about 12 volts output.

perpetual motion 23:07 20 Mar 2009

MAJ thankx its a TFT & the power cable ive got is a adapter type that fits multiple connections u know the type that has four pins like a cross this didnt come with the monitor so maybe ur correct, i was told to update the bios by a internet m8 ..thankx again
PM

Stuartli 23:39 20 Mar 2009

The refresh rate for a TFT is, normally, 60MHz, in contrast to a CRT monitor which requires a minimum of 85MHz to ensure that the majority of users won't be troubled by screen flicker.

Updating the Bios won't make a scrap of difference, but updating the graphics card/onboard graphics may well do so.

The PSU solution is another, perhaps less urgent, possibility.

MAJ 23:51 20 Mar 2009

Check the sticker on the monitor's power supply, perpetual motion, usually the output is about 12 Volts and 4 Amps. If you're using one of those universal 12 Volt power supplies, then usually they don't output more than about 2 Amps maximum, which isn't really enough to drive the monitor properly.

As Stuartli says, also check the graphics card's drivers.

Gandalph 00:34 21 Mar 2009

The problem is your power supply. You will have to get one that suits your monitor. The one you are using does not put out the required amperage for the monitor.

perpetual motion 09:01 21 Mar 2009

Thankx so much guys for ALL your time & replies, i think looking at your replies its the power cable.
thankx again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?