Monitor flickering

murgle 19:50 10 Jul 2005

Hi,

I have a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930 monitor which is just over 2 years old. The screen has started bouncing and sometimes goes completely black with a white line through the middle.

Sometimes it will be fine for days and then one day will start playing up. It might go a few days with no problems before it starts again.

A hard bang on the side of the monitor seems to put things right.

Does anybody know whats wrong and whether it is worth repairing.

Thanks

DieSse 20:33 10 Jul 2005

What's wrong is a faulty component, or more likely a bad solder joint, in the monitor.

It may be worth repairing - you will have to get a quote from a monitor repairer.

If it's only 2 years old, it may still be under warranty - most monitor manufacturers warranty their products for 3 years - many warranties are on-site too.

I suggest you look out the original documentation, as it will probably tell you the length of warranty, and arragements (where to call, etc).

Danoh 21:06 10 Jul 2005

I have the same monitor and similar problems (but not exact) occurred just under 3 yrs from purchase.

As it was still within the 3 yr warranty, I contacted NEC-Mitsubishi, emailed them a copy of my purchase invoice as proof of warranty and they arranged for a replacement in around 1 week.

NEC-Mitsubishi 0870 120 1160 (Mon – Fri 8:15 a.m. 4:45 p.m.)

Danoh 21:09 10 Jul 2005
  murgle 11:57 14 Jul 2005

Many thanks for your help.

I will contact NEC and see what they say.

Stuartli 12:56 14 Jul 2005

Of course it's worth repairing if necessary - it's hardly drawn breath yet...:-)

My 17in iiyama S702GT is six years old, is on all day every day and has never missed a beat nor had to have the configuration changed.

One possible cause of the flickering is configuring the monitor to support a resolution or refresh rate beyond its means. More rare is synchronisation that is slightly out and changing the vertical hold occasionally may cure it.

murgle 21:54 10 Aug 2005

Hi,

I finally got round to calling Mitsubishi - NEC yesterday (10/8/05), and have to admit I was not expecting to get my monitor repaired after 2.5 years and after Multivision had gone bust (supplier). I spoke to a really nice lady who asked me a few questions. These included purchasing details and the problem I was experiencing. To my amazement she told me my Monitor was under warrantee and offered me 2 choices:

1. She would arrange for DHL to collect my monitor, repair it and return it within 5 days.

2. She would arrange for a recon unit to be delivered the next day by DHL.

I went for option 2 but she said that there were no monitors in stock to be sent out for next day delivery. She was very apologetic and said she would call me back before the close of business. She called back 2 minutes later to say that a BRAND NEW monitor would be sent out. She even asked me what colour I wanted.

Today a received my brand new replacement monitor by DHL.

This is an outstanding service from Mitsubishi - NEC.

Just wanted to share my experience.

Stuartli 22:36 10 Aug 2005

Excellent - as one would expect from Mitsubishi...:-)

woodchip 22:38 10 Aug 2005

Field output fault. It need to go to Monitor Repair man

DieSse 22:45 10 Aug 2005

A model of good service.

Woody - you're a month behind here ;-))

woodchip 22:47 10 Aug 2005

Yep looked after I posted, Ready for bed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone