Monitor Flickering

Gaz W 14:21 10 Oct 2003

My Iiyama Vision Master 1451 19" monitor has suddenly started flickering. The edges of the picture seem to be moving in and out, and it keeps flickering (getting brighter & darker).

This is not a refresh rate problem, although I thought it might be. The monitor only supports 85Hz and that's what it's on, although I've tried 60Hz and still the same problem. I've also tried Degauss several times, to no effect.

I have also checked the area around the monitor for anything that could be magnetic, but there is nothing different.

This happened a few days ago and then went away, but now it's back and is happening as I type this.

The exact model number of the monitor is LS902UT. My graphics card is a Sparkle GeForce 3 Ti200 64MB.

The first one of this monitor I got had to be replaced under warranty because it was faulty - the picture was all distorted and setting it to the defaults didn't help. Also this one is now nearly 2 years old so it's out of warranty I think. I think the problem started out as a high pitched sound that would suddenly come from the monitor, and then go if switched off/on. This hasn't happened since the flickering problem started though, so I was wondering whether it's related.

Any ideas?

tbh72 14:29 10 Oct 2003

In the OSD is there an auto configuration option, if so run it several times to reset the monitor. Other than this suggestion I'm afraid I can't be of more help.

graham√ 14:37 10 Oct 2003

You could try the percussion test, it's a bit technical, though. It's what they use in PC workshops.

Tap the monitor and PC lightly but firmly with a clenched fist whilst watching the screen for a reaction.

Do let us know the results.

JIM 14:37 10 Oct 2003

"nearly 2 years old so it's out of warranty "

Still being sold a £128 which is great price,++++++++++++Service & Support / Type-----------3 years warranty

click here

SmiffyRebel 14:50 10 Oct 2003

As Graham suggests try tapping the monitor. I feel it may be a dry joint.You Could try borrowing a monitor from a friend and trying your monitor on his PC that would at least narrow things down.

johnnyrocker 15:07 10 Oct 2003

i would say smiffy is right you will probably find your problem lies either around the line output stage or the east west correction circuitry.

cheers.

johnny

woodchip 15:10 10 Oct 2003

Have you got speakers near the monitor if so moove them away

skeletal 15:10 10 Oct 2003

Oh dear, I think your monitor is dogged, to use a technical term!!

The sound effects may be connected to the problem: something could be breaking (e.g. a dry joint is starting to appear) and the possible spark generated as the wires/PCB pull appart can whistle at the frequency of the signal. There are a number of high frequency signals in a monitor.

You also need a fairly high voltage for the effect. Putting all this together, and the symptoms, suggest a problem in the line output stages.

If you fancy your chances, find a cable that goes to the plug at the side of the tube with a large platic cover around it (ie. not the plug at the base of the tube with a lot of connections). Trace this cable back to a tranformer. Look all around the transformer (and nearby PCB) for any scorch marks/signs of bad soldered joints/connections.

DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS if you are usure of what you are doing and in any case, leave the monitor switched off for, say 1 hour, before getting into it. Lethal voltages can be present for long periods of time after switch off.

You may well void any warrenty as well.

I offer this as a suggestion if all else fails and you end up thinking of throwing it away in any case. As with many things these days, the cost of repair can be similar to buying new.

I hope you still have some warrenty...the mender can then do the above!!

Skeletal

Stuartli 15:50 10 Oct 2003

I had this problem with my iiyama S702GT which proved to be a faulty mains cable.

Slight movement of the cable where it is plugged into the monitor caused the pin contacts to disengage/engage, but it took a few days to finally discover the cause as it was random; iiyama replaced the cable overnight when I contacted them.

Other suggestions are a loose graphics card or plugs/leads/cables not inserted correctly.

If the worse comes to the worse, a local independent TV retailer's workshop should be quickly able to cure it as TVs and monitors are bsically very similar to service.

Note the word "independent"...:-)

woodchip 16:10 10 Oct 2003

Keep out of the Monitor unless you are a TV man or such, It can Kill even when the plug is out or left of for an hour

Gaz W 16:45 10 Oct 2003

It is now working perfectly OK again but will probably start again. It might just be because I have had it on a long time (it goes into standby mode). It's just typical that it would start working as soon as I put the problem here.

One of the first things I tried was the "percussion test" ;o)

It used to stop the noise I was talking about. Also I have had the speakers near(ish) to it since getting it because the wires aren't long enough. The speakers have never caused any problems before and today they weren't even switched on.

Stuartli,

You said it might have been a faulty mains cable. I have never used the standard cable that came with the monitor because it comes from the PC power supply and also powers the speakers. The power supply itself does have a problem, and it seems that the problem with the monitor is only when the PC is first switched on, leading me to believe that the PSU could be to blame. It's only 300W in a Tsunami 'Virgo' case, and it started making a noise when first switched on after 6 months, but never got round to taking it back.

Is it possible that the PSU could be the problem?

Also there will still be 1 year warranty left on it because I seem to remember now that it was 3. Wouldn't have bought it if it was only 1 because I'd never really heard of Iiyama.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone