Monitor does not respond on boot up - (standby)

JKYY 02:21 01 Jan 2003
  JKYY 02:21 01 Jan 2003

Hi, Happy New Year!

I've just bought a computer (4 weeks ago) and now I'm already having trouble so I will be very grateful for your help.

The problem started when I formatted my hard drive to remove WinXP and to install Win98-Don't ask me why.

Whenever I boot up now, the monitor stays on standby and there are no beeps.

I have another computer, so I have tested some of the components. The following are working (definite)....

monitor
hard drive
graphics card
memory
dvd and cdrw drive
floppy drive

The cpu fan spins and so does the one in the PSU.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks again

deltaflyer 02:44 01 Jan 2003

have you checked the pins on the monitor connector cable,you may have one thats loose/bent,check your monitor power settings and adjust as necessary,

JKYY 02:50 01 Jan 2003

Yep, checked that. Even tried a different monitor, but still stays on standby.

bigray 06:52 01 Jan 2003

Had similar problem, it was a faulty mother board, hope yours is something simple

JKYY 13:33 01 Jan 2003

I think it is the motherboard but when I switch on, the hard disk keeps spinning up and down. I'm not sure if the motherboard is causing this but when I install the hard disk on my other computer, it works fine.

Also, when I switch on the PSU (but not the computer), a LED lights up on the motherboard. The manual states that this indicates that the

system is ON,
in sleep mode or
in soft-off mode

and not powered OFF. So which one is it? And what is soft-off mode? If I can remember, I only get a display on the monitor if I switch on the computer when the LED is off while the PSU is switched on.

Guys, is this a motherboard problem. Its either that, or a PSU, CPU problem.

Finally, an engineer from the company is coming round to fix the computer but should I tell him that I have tested some of the components? I am allowed to upgrade but I'm not sure if taking out components, that were supplied with the system, and then testing them will invalidate the warranty. I don't want to end up paying for the replacement but if I do tell him that some of the components work fine, this will reduce the time it takes for him to sort out the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?