Monitor displays NO SIGNAL

Woodmouse 12:21 11 Jul 2003

Power unit fan makes noise - Switch off and attempt to clean fan - reinstall, computer works OK - Slight burning smell - switch off - buy new power unit and install - Switch on, computer works fine - 30min later, computer switches itself off - burning smell again. When I powered up, the power light on the tower unit continually flashes and the monitor displays NO SIGNAL. I have checked the video card and seems to be seated correctly in the motherboard. Have I damaged the motherboard or has the video card been damaged?

woodchip 12:27 11 Jul 2003

Sound like the PSU again take it back for replacment and gt one that's big enough

Bodi 12:35 11 Jul 2003

There are PSU's and PSU's - and some of the cheaper ones can be very dicy - had to replace one in cheap case FOUR times!

Spend a bit extra and get a decent one.

Bodi

Bodi 12:41 11 Jul 2003

Once you've fitted a new PSU - if things still don't work, have you got a spare graphics card and/or memory module you can try? At least you then do a process of elimination, just in case the motherboard or anything else has been damaged.

Incidentally, a faulty power supply (regulator duff) blew up everything (bar CPU) in one of my computers.

Bodi

sil_ver 12:41 11 Jul 2003

Have you been able to pinpoint from where the burning smell originates?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?