Monitor display setup help

wotbus@ 09:02 13 Sep 2006

DiamondPro930SB. I have lost the "squareness" of my display and can't get it back. The factory reset option doesn't correct the individual settings [tilt/in/out/left/top etc etc] and having lost the right angle corners I am in a bit of a fix. Can anyone recommend a starting point as when the top is good the bottom or side isn't - or when the side is good the top isn't etc etc :-(
Maybe someone with the same monitor could give me their settings which at least would be somewhere to start. The site doesn't really help with this dummy end user. Groan.

Gongoozler 09:16 13 Sep 2006

What sort of "Out of square" is your monitor suffering from?
Do you have anything near the monitor that could be causing a magnetic field to change the picture geometry?
Have you tried a different screen refresh rate? I find that on my DiamondPro 720, the refresh rate has quite a strong influence on the picture geometry.

wotbus@ 09:21 13 Sep 2006

Ummm, it was ok but I tried to fix it ;-(. It was me messing about with the adjustments, duhhhhh.
The display should be a rectangle - parallel sides and parallel top/bottom. That's what I have lost. I can get it back to "almost" but not quite lol.

wotbus@ 09:33 13 Sep 2006

OK, I have it acceptable now just by more trial and error. Shame there is no posibility to select "rectangle" to begin with then you can modify it from there. Lesson learned and cheers Gongoozler.

Gongoozler 15:19 13 Sep 2006

Hi wotbus@. I'm pleased that you've managed to get your monitor display right again.
Unfortunately for users and manufacturers, "rectangular" isn't the natural shape for a crt display. Because the electron beam in a crt is scanned from what is effectively a point source near the socket end of the tube, to get a near rectangular display the tube should be very long with the screen a segment of a sphere. This is what the first cathode ray tubes were like. Modern tubes are very short with large flat faces. The resulting picture would therefore normally have extremely severe pincushion distortion and the manufacturers have to employ quite sophisticated correction circuits to force the scanned electron beam to produce a rectangular scan of the faceplate (Modern flat faced crt's also have to use optical means to acheive the truly flat image that we now want). The signals that produce the corrections are frequency dependent, and so vary according to the scan speed. This is why the adjustments vary according to screen resolution and refresh rates. LCD screens have it much simpler. The pixels stay where the manufacturers put them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?