monitor connection to add-in graphics card?

sarah870 10:29 16 Jan 2008

I recently got a Dell inspiron 530s and have been setting it up, or at least trying!

I connected the monitor with the VGA blue cable but on the screen when I turned it all on I got a message saying that it was plugged into the integrated graphics card and should be connected to the add-in card - which I think is a ATI Raedon HD 2400X T or something.

I then tried the DVI cable instead but the port that looks like it should be it (white, the right shape) won't actually fit the cabel connector.

There is no other place on the computer.

Any help would be much appreciated! Dell are a nightmare to contact!

Totally-braindead 11:50 16 Jan 2008

See if this helps click here VGA is blue and DVI is white and you should be able to see both on this picture. The cables only connect one way.
Look at your monitor input lead. If its blue it can connect either to the onboard graphics or if a seperate graphics card is fitted to it instead. If your monitor only has the blue connection (VGA) then you will need an adaptor, if the monitor takes DVI or VGA then it should just be a matter of connecting the DVI cable and that should be it.

sarah870 13:24 16 Jan 2008

Thanks for your response.

I definitely have both the blue and white connections that are shown in the photo. And my monitor has both VGA and DVI connections.

the lead with blue connectors, VGA, fits fine but I get the message about the connection being wrong.

I have a lead with white connectors, the DVI lead I think. This will fit into the monitor fine but the connector the other end doesn't seem to fit into the one on the computer. The holes/pins or whatever they are don't match!

keef66 11:23 18 Jan 2008

One kind is digital only (DVI-D)and the other is integrated digital and analog (DVI-I)

Does the DVI socket on the back of the pc look exactly like the one in the picture? I'm thinking in particular about the bit that looks like a cross with 4 dots around it (=DVI-I) Some sockets lack the 4 dots (=DVI-D) so if you have a cable with 4 pins there, it won't go in.

IF this is the case you need a DVI-D cable

KENYONAL 18:24 29 May 2008

i ALSO HAVE A DELL INSPIRON 530s WITH A DVI-I CONNECTION ON COMPUTER AND TWO VGA MONITORS. USING A SPLITTER WITH 3 DVI-I CONNECTIONS AND VGA TO DVI ADAPTORS TO MY MONITORS DOES NOT WORK. DELL SAYS SIGNAL NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO GO THROUGH TWO ADAPTORS ALTHOUGH IF I ONLY HOOK UP ONE MONITOR WITH VGA-DVI ADAPTOR, MONITOR WORKS FINE. CANNOT SEEM TO GET SPLITTER CABLE WITH ONE MALE DVI-I CONNECTION AND TWO VGA FEMALE CONNECTIONS. DELL SENDS ME A 4 ROW 63 PIN MALE CONNECTOR TO TWO VGA FEMALE CONNECTIONS. OBVIOUSLY, 4 ROWS DO NOT FIT INTO 3 ROW DVI-I CONNECTION ON COMPUTER. IS THERE A SPLITTER AVAILABLE OR AM I STUCK WITH JUST ONE MONITOR.

Totally-braindead 19:46 29 May 2008

Start your own thread KENYONAL and do not use capitals all the time, its considered shouting and more importantly perhaps it makes it more differcult to read.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?