monitor compatibility with pc and video card

willo500 13:44 20 Apr 2007

Hi

I have been toying with the idea of buying a new monitor for my pc for a few months now but I'm unsure as to whether there are issues in using some monitors with some graphics cards etc.

My pc is a modest Dell 3100C with a 2.8Ghz processor. It has plenty of RAM and I believe it has on board graphics with the motherboard.

I was considering something like a Dell 2007WFP or maybe evecn a 2407WFP but wonder if I would need to beef up the pc or at least add some other graphics card to allow me to do this?

Thanks

Willo

Diemmess 14:39 20 Apr 2007

Any mismatches of PC with a monitor, are more likely to occur when a high end PC tries to display on an old monitor.

I don't think you will have any bother at all but if you are sticking with Dell, why not check with them first?

jam500 14:47 20 Apr 2007

What size moniter do you have? And what size do you want?

willo500 21:56 20 Apr 2007

Jam I have a 17inch monitor but want to upgrage to a 23inch widescreen one.

Will check with Dell as suggested but last time I spoke to them it was about upgrading my HDD and they told me I should spend £330 on one and that the cheaper ones I saw everywhere else were not guaranteed to work with my Dell. You can imagine I am keen to get advice elsewhere.

Willo

De Marcus™ 22:03 20 Apr 2007

Make sure your onboards graphic solution can cope with the new screens resolution.

Totally-braindead 23:39 20 Apr 2007

You could of course run the monitor at a lower resolution. Just because the monitor goes up to 1600 x 1200 for example doesn't mean you have to run it at that, if your onboard graphics struggles or you don't like it that high.

Gongoozler 08:28 21 Apr 2007

On a blank part of your computer desktop, right click and select "Properties". Click on the "Settings" tab. Click the "Advanced" button, then the "Adapter" tab. At the bottom there should be a "List All Modes" button. Click on this and see if the list includes the correct mode for the monitor you want to buy. As Totally-braindead says, you can run the monitor at a lower resolution than it's quoted figure, but you may get aliasing effects resulting in blurred text.

willo500 23:04 21 Apr 2007

Thanks Gongoozler. It seems I will have to install a new graphics card to allow the resolution of the monitor I want. I am assuming this is straightforward but will call Dell on Monday to ensure. I am not keen on having to run at a lower resolution than ideal for the monitor and so will check this with them as well. The only thing worrying me is whether my pc will allow for an updated graphics card or not, but Dell should be able to tell.

Thanks to all who helped here

Willo

Gongoozler 09:39 22 Apr 2007

You may find that new drivers are all you need.

Gongoozler 09:48 22 Apr 2007

Your computer has "One low-profile PCI Express x1 card slot" click here. So if you want to fit a graphics card, that is what you will be needing. One advantage of fitting a new card is that it should give you a digital video output. If your new monitor has a digital video input this should result in a significantly crisper image. Unless you are intending to use the computer for gaming you don't need to spend a great deal on a powerful graphics card. I'm getting a superb picture at 1680 x 1050 pixels with 60Hz refresh rate from a modest GeForce 6200.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?