Monitor comes on eventually. So what's wrong?

WGW 21:22 14 Dec 2004

This is a strange one to me, but a monitor I've been using for a while now, never comes on first time when starting the PC. I've tried 2 different PCs but there is no difference. It does however come on when I rapidly switch the on/off button on it several times. I thought it was on it's way out but it still works ok (eventually) more than a year since this problem first arose. What could possibly be the reason why it never comes on first time? It makes all the right noises and sometimes comes on very briefly when switching on and off, but when it comes on properly it stays on without any problems until I switch it off, sometimes days later.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.

howard60 21:29 14 Dec 2004

it could be bad contacts in the switch - most monitor switches have double pole contacts and they may not be making. I have removed the switch from 2 monitors with similar symptoms to yours and just connected the wires. As the whole system is switched completly off not having a monitor switch is not a problem.

howard60 21:31 14 Dec 2004

as an after thought - next time it is working properly turn off at the main socket leaving the monitor switch alone. If next time you switch on it comes on and stays on it is the switch that is faulty.

Jeffers22 21:50 14 Dec 2004

Do the tests as per Howard60 post. Remember, the switch is often the weakest link in much electronic equipment - and certainly that is the case with many monitors.

woodchip 22:00 14 Dec 2004

If you smoke, The switch will more than likely have got tarred up just like treacle. That's what it does to your guts. If not then sorry but something having the same effect on the switch

WGW 00:43 15 Dec 2004

I did wonder about the switch, but each time the PC goes off the monitor LED goes amber and then green when the PC is re-booted - as I think it's supposed to. Also, you can clearly see the LED coming on and off each time I work the switch therefore proving that the switch is making and breaking as and when it's supposed to.

I don't smoke Woodchip, and there are no smokers in the house.

The monitor is a Gateway EV500.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?