Modifying a flat screen

Meshuga 08:32 09 Jan 2005

I recently saw in an advert for a tft flat screen that it had a transparent cover attached to the frame in front of the screen to keep dust and dirt off the screen and make cleaning easy.I cannot remember where I saw it unfortunately. It occurred to me that a thin piece of plexiglass or similar could be fastened to existing screen frames. I have checked my screen surface and it barely gets warm so does anybody have any views on the idea. Regards, Meshuga.

Meshuga 09:27 09 Jan 2005

I have found the advert mentioned above and it is from a company named RM and the product is called RM1 and it states " A hardened screen cover protects the fragile TFT"

john-232317 09:27 09 Jan 2005

Spose it could be done, but buy the expensive plexiglass cos the cheap stuff goes yellow ;-).

You will spend more energy making it than you would cleaning it for ten years LOL.

Regards John

Meshuga 09:41 09 Jan 2005

Hi dadyassa,thanks for your reply. I take your point about the amount of energy involved but the main intention is to avoid damage to the vulnerable surface when cleaning,especially fly dirt.Being disabled and living alone I welcome anything that helps to pass time away + I like experimenting. Regards, Emanuel.

john-232317 11:16 09 Jan 2005

Sounds like a good project for you then, give it a go and good luck.

Get yourself a venus flytrap plant to get shot of the flies ;-))

john

Mango Grummit 12:07 09 Jan 2005

Sounds a good idea Meshuga but why don't you use *proper* glass. Any of that other stuff will discolour over time.

Get you local bloke to cut some thin glass to the right size. You could then finish off the project by getting some small ally angle, nicly mitre the corners, glue to the glass and fit over the screen. Sounds good to me.

rawprawn 12:29 09 Jan 2005

Hi, I don't think that I would be very happy covering my TFT screen with anything, I think it best to let air to it naturally and clean it gently with a damp cloth. I do this on a regular basis with no trouble at all.

Totally-braindead 12:37 09 Jan 2005

Interesting idea, I too would think thin glass would be the thing to try but, unless the glass was virtually sealed to the TFT screen would dust not be able to get between the glass and the TFT screen? And I for one would not attempt anything which would permenently damage the TFT sure as glueing the glass on. Another thought and I suppose you wouldn't know till you tried it what about reflections? Both between the TFT screen and the glass and the glass and the room its in.

TomJerry 12:38 09 Jan 2005

spend money elsewhere

Meshuga 15:04 09 Jan 2005

Hi TomJerry, sorry to contradict you but I have 2 TFT monitors and they don`t have glass fronts. that is the reason that the advice given for cleaning TFT`s is to take great care when cleaning them because the surface is soft and can be pressed in. There has been many postings in PCA and elsewhere to this effect. Many thanks for your response anyway. Meshuga.

TomJerry 15:22 09 Jan 2005

if you glass, what conver all electronics behind?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie