Modernwarfare 2 Graphics issue

kalstras 21:41 23 Nov 2009

I am running Win/Vista 32bit with a 22in monitor 1680x1050 viewing and an ATI Radeon x1650 SE card

My game isn't displaying the text as text, more like scrambled blocks. Can anyone suggest something more than updating the card?

Cheers

Kal

kalstras 21:46 23 Nov 2009

here's a screenshot

click here

Driver is up to date too, plus I have tried 1280 x 768 as was suggested by one site

Please help £40 is going to waste and I'm 12hours from returning it :(

RobCharles1981 22:32 23 Nov 2009

Looks like your Graphics Card is to blame here, either improve that or get your money back.

MAT ALAN 22:47 23 Nov 2009

The VGA card meets the minimum requirement for the game so i would try turning stuff down first to see if it makes a difference.
As for getting your money back you might be in for a shock retail stores will not take software back after it has been opened. Heres why!

you buy software, you load software, "you copy software", ( which is the bit you have to convince them that you have not done) you dont like software, you cant play software, you take it back...

kalstras 23:40 23 Nov 2009

Thanks for the replies, money back may not be an option, but who knows, with a little luck and the fact that we are local to the store (and very good customers :)) we may have a chance at an exchange at least.

Mat - by turning stuff down do you mean less screen size? such as 800 x 600 etc instead of the 1680x1050?

kalstras 23:48 23 Nov 2009

oh last thing, I found this, but I'm not too sure of myself when uninstalling things that are necessary for my computer to run... it seems ok but still a bit wary

click here

Cheers all

Kal

SANAP 01:27 24 Nov 2009

these PC games are getting more and more graphics intensive, I have given up and got an xbox 360. The min spec is a con. I dont think your card can handle the graphics. use this tool to checkyour spec.

click here

sanap

kalstras 16:40 24 Nov 2009

thanks for the email sanap, but it fatal error'd me and didn't come up with a result. Cheers anyhow!

Kal

bukkaz 22:33 25 Nov 2009

This may sound daft but worth trying. I bought a new computer and couldn't run Call Of duty 2 properly although it had worked on my previous computer which had an inferior graphics card. Tried all sorts, running at lower settings, turning anti-aliasing off etc and nothing worked. then, under graphics where it says rendering it was on auto. I clicked it and could use direct x7 or 9. Left it on 7 and it works perfectly at maximum resolution with virtually everything turned up full. In fact it works better with direct x 7 than 9.
I know it is a long shot but worth trying, you never know.

reply4reply 10:01 26 Nov 2009

the card isnt good enough mate, nowadays you need to spend at least £100 for a graphic card alone to play games like CODMW2

try the following
use minimal graphic settings,
also use the "automatic graphic, where the game
analyses your specs and give you the correct
settings to be played at 1024 resolution"

kalstras 11:49 26 Nov 2009

will try both thank you SO much

PS trying the Left 4 Dead Demo atm lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone