Modem/router with timer

Ian in Northampton 09:37 15 May 2010

I would ideally like to be able to restrict my children's access to the internet by time window - for example, closing down daughter's access at 10:00 and son's access at 11:00, with access automatically reopening at whatever time. I'd prefer to do this by physical port rather than IP address, as I'm set to dynamically allocate IP addresses automatically and I'd rather not mess with that. (Thus, I'd prefer not to restrict access by IP address or MAC address). Does anyone have experience of this - and using which modem/router? Right now, I have a Plus- supplied Thomson 585 which doesn't seem to feature this functionality, but would be happy to swap it out. TIA.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:45 15 May 2010

You can do it in windows

click here

or use 3rd party software click here

click here

northumbria61 10:48 15 May 2010

Hi Ian - would a separate software program not be easier for you - this one is FREE to download and try out with the option to purchase if you find it suits your purpose.

click here

Ian in Northampton 11:01 15 May 2010

Thanks both. If I read those suggestions correctly, they're all solutions that I would need to individually install on each PC I want to control. I already have such a piece of software, but administering it is a bit of a pain, having to go from PC to PC to make changes. Ideally, I'd like something I can administer centrally from my own PC, just by logging on the modem/router.

northumbria61 23:34 15 May 2010

Hi Ian - I had a LINKSYS Router previously which allowed me to set restrictions albeit a while ago now.

The one I had was click here - there is a LINK here which describes the procedure - click here

BRYNIT 00:20 16 May 2010

I believe most router may have the facility already.

After search through the setup of my Belkin router I found under firewall/client IP filter the ability to set the times that a particular computer can access the web.

Assuming you have DHCP server switched on which would have automatically assigns an IP address for each computer you would have nothing to change you just need to follow the instructions in the help file.

morddwyd 07:53 16 May 2010

Plug her computer into a time controlled or remote controlled socket adapter.

Ian in Northampton 10:02 17 May 2010

Thanks northumbria61.

BRYNIT: if mine does, I can't find it. It has the facility to block certain web sites (e.g. World of Warcraft) from certain users, but that's about it.

morddwyd: Good idea, but then it's a question of securing the socket - and I want to block use of the web rather than block use of the whole computer (she's fine to use Word for homework, but not to be doing MSN/Facebook/YouTube..). You did lead me down an interesting path, though... If, instead of connecting each user directly to the modem/router, I attach them via a powered switch (my son already has one in his room so his PC and X-Box are permanently connected) then I could simply power that switch via a timer as you suggest. How devious/brilliant is that?

Graham. 10:15 17 May 2010

Lock the mouse away or fit a timer to the router mains. Lock the door where the router is.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?