modem/router

bahati0ne 20:13 15 Jan 2009

is a router a replacement for a modem please

MAJ 20:15 15 Jan 2009

It can be if it's a combined modem and router, usually with wireless capability.

bahati0ne 20:33 15 Jan 2009

#I have a sitecom ADSL 2+ modem router.

I wish to use this to connect my Desktop to my Orange broadband and also to my laptop.

I connect to broadband at the moment via a speedtouch 330 which connects to my PC via usb port.

I am not sure how to connect these up as the modem/router has no usb input.

MAJ 20:47 15 Jan 2009

You don't use a USB cable with the router, you use an ethernet cable to connect your PC to the router. The router usually comes with a CD which you use to set up the router with your ISP's settings. Don't plug the router in to the PC before running the router's CD, the set up process will tell you when to connect the router to the PC with the ethernet cable. If the router has wireless capability, your laptop will automatically pick up the signal when the router is set up, if the laptop is "wireless ready", most are nowadays.

bahati0ne 21:24 15 Jan 2009

thanks MAJ,

I am working through the installation manual but not getting very far. I have to use the internet to "program" the modem/router and to do that I have to connect the old way via the speedtouch. When I then try to use the router/modem to connect - blank.

I am afraid it is the documentation id minimal.

MAJ 21:30 15 Jan 2009

what is the exact make and model number of the router, bahati0ne?

bahati0ne 21:37 15 Jan 2009

Sitecom DC-244 v1 UK 001 (ASDL 2+ Modem Router)

bahati0ne 21:46 15 Jan 2009

sorry i have to sign off now. any help forthcoming will be replied to Friday - thanks

MAJ 21:58 15 Jan 2009

I can find little info on the router, but have you entered your username and password correctly? I think your username should be in the format:

[email protected]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone