modem speed of connection

palinka 14:29 31 Jul 2004

The near-silent modem that I've written about in another posting has another annoying feature (at least, I assume it's the modem). Connection speed is never higher than 31.2bps; sometimes down to 28.8.
It's a Intel[R] 536EP V.92 modem.
When the pc was in my neighbour's house I thought the problem might be their phone line. But it's now connected to my phone line where I usually connect at 46.6 and today at 48.00
My other thought was that it might be their isp (NASCR)but installing another isp produces the same slow speed.
Is there anything that can be done to improve things?

Gaz 25 14:33 31 Jul 2004
  palinka 21:20 31 Jul 2004

thanks Gaz 25; I'll work through that and see if it does the trick.

geewis357 22:22 31 Jul 2004

I had the same problem with a 56k dail up. the problem is that BT have a dacs box fited to the house with the slow speed, this allows 2 houses to use the same line, great for modulation but useless for data. You have to conplain wery sevearly to get BT to remove the box but this should be free and will sort out your prob, it did for me, then I went to broad band and never looked back. I hope this has been of benifit.

Danoh 22:33 31 Jul 2004

palinka, I note that the site referenced by Gaz 25 did not mention backing up your registry first. I would also try everything else apart from registry changes, first. Getting BT to increase the GAIN on the telephone line (assuming it is a BT line still and not cable) is a great help especially if you have experienced dropped connections on occasions.

palinka 10:13 01 Aug 2004

thanks geewis 357 and Danoh. I thought it could be something to do with the phone line. But it happens to the neighbours computer even when it's in my house. I can connect my computer at 46.6 or 48; then disconnect, remove tel cable, immediately put it into neighbours PC in same room and same BT socket and the speed is only 31.2.
I also wondered if it was their ISP, but installing the same isp that I use produced for them exactly the same result - 31.2.
I have no speed problems with my PC since BT increased the gain several years ago, so it isn't that either.

I'm now beginning to think that it's a dodgy modem, and will advise them to take it to their retailer (a local shop)to get it replaced. Problem is, I think they are JUST out of warantee; they never realised there was a problem 'cos they hardly ever go on-line except for the occasional email.

palinka 14:45 01 Aug 2004

discovered their guarantee expires on Aug 6th, so they will take it to shop first thing on Monday.
I'll let you know the outcome.

esbe 23:40 01 Aug 2004

Hi, Ive got exactly the same problem as you & using same modem (XP), on my other pc (Me) I get 48.00, on the XP system only 31.2.
I've tried changing modem settings etc and tried the pc in my mates house with the same result.
Today I replaced the modem, but even with the new modem I'm still only getting 31.2.

Sorry I'm not much help to you, but it seems a fairly common issue,& I'll be watching the outcome with interest.

Maybe Its an XP/Intel clash.

cheers

woodchip 00:03 02 Aug 2004

The sit in the Link is only for Win98 not XP

Danoh 00:10 02 Aug 2004

Different dial-up modems, different performance which is probably not a huge surprise. I have not investigated nor read up on any reviews of more recent modems. But way back when I did, I found that external modems rather than internal PC card modems performed consistently better.

So the modem works, just less fast than other comparable 56k V.92 modems.

The site that Gaz 25 referred to is worth reading for the suggested tweaks.

palinka 09:22 02 Aug 2004

Is it a particular model of modem that's particularly slow? The one I've written about is an Intel(R) 536EP V.92. Has anyone else experience of this one?

Yes, I will look at the tweaks in the site Gaz recommended - have printed it out for ease of use - when I get my hands on it again.

Rather busy with other things this week, and the PC has gone back to its owner in the meantime.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?