Modem security.

Rene12 13:53 23 Jan 2014

Hi, I'm about to give my old PC to a charity. I've only ever used it for games , photo storage and MP3 files. It shared a modem with my main pc. My question is, would the old pc have shared any banking passwords or browsing history when I've been using my main PC as they shared the same modem? thank you

spuds 14:19 23 Jan 2014

I asked this same question recently, and was informed that the information (if any) would be contained on the one computer used at the time, it would not share the information between the two computer's.

So if that is the case, then make sure the hard-drive is cleared of any information before you give it away. Consider though, that with the right equipment or program, information from an hard-drive could be retrieved by anyone determined to gain this information. Sure way of getting rid of information is to destroy the hard-drive completely.

If the information on the hard-drive is not relevant, then CCleaner might help with a clean?.

spuds 14:36 23 Jan 2014

Perhaps I should have made "then CCleaner might help with a clean?" more clear. Use the Tools then Drive Wiper on the CCleaner program for hard-drive content.

Woolwell 15:17 23 Jan 2014

The modem is just for transmitting data. It is highly unlikely that a modem will store confidential data. A PC hard drive is another matter but it requires to have been used for confidential data. Most reputable charities will wipe the hard drive. There are charitable recycling companies that clear data and pass computers on.

onthelimit1 15:35 23 Jan 2014

Note that, as far as I can tell, CCleaner will not let you wipe the drive containing the OS - only free space on that drive. There are more aggressive wipers available for free which will do the job.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?