Modem router and zone alarm

charlton200 16:38 18 Feb 2007

hello,
i am trying to install a netgear dg632 adsl cabled modem router from my computer to my xbox live box.
I have noticed that the router has a firewall built in.
Will it clash with zone alarm i have installed.

many thanks.

Gongoozler 16:44 18 Feb 2007

I found that ZoneAlarm was no problem with connecting the computers to the Internet, but did cause problems with trying to network the computers so that I could share files. having disabled ZoneAlarm, I can now ping from one computer to another, but I still haven't cracked the file sharing ;-(.
I don't think you really need a software firewall because the Netgear firewall can do it all for you anyway.

Strawballs 16:47 18 Feb 2007

No it should not I have a linksys with built in firewall and running McAfee with firewall with no problem

Strawballs 16:50 18 Feb 2007

Gongoozler the hardware firewall on router will stop incoming attacks but will not warn you about any software on your machine trying to access the net.

Gongoozler 17:19 18 Feb 2007

I quite agree Strawballs. However my Netgear router firewall allows me to define what outbound services are to be blocked. I haven't yet worked out how to set these rules, hopefully one day I will.
There are some very knowledgeable members of this forum who advocate running with no firewall at all, but I wouldn't be happy doing that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?