modem router with usb to support printer and HDD

mixmag 23:10 22 Jun 2007

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and I am currently looking for a modem-router or just arouter to which I can connect a printer and external HDD. I have only one computer but would like to move around the house. any ideas any one?
many thanks

FreeCell 15:49 23 Jun 2007

Any modem router with ethernet connection ports would enable you to do this. (and most do)Wireless would allow you to move (the PC around the house)Look at D-Link, Netgear, Linksys.

You would need a network enabled printer (eg click here)or a print server, though a few expensive modem routers incorporate a print server. You also need a network attached storage device to provide the external HDD. Search using Google for NAS devices.

Connect printer and NAS device to router using ethernet network cables and PC by wireless and you are there!

mixmag 19:47 23 Jun 2007

I will have a look around, Thanks for your time.

FreeCell 20:24 23 Jun 2007

Try this as a wireless modem router with built in USB print server.
click here

Price wise you may find it cheaper, or similar, on other sites.

Ashrich 20:33 23 Jun 2007

Bearing in mind that what FreeCell has pointed you to has no modem so you would need a separate ethernet modem .

Ashley

mixmag 09:39 24 Jun 2007

Thanks for that,I have asked about some of he routers with printer server, but the piople sa that they do not support an external HDD.Do you thin a router with printer server should suport the HDD? Netgear have two WGPS606 - WIRELESS PRINT SERVER and DG834N RangeMax™ NEXT Wireless ADSL Modem Router but they say about printer only.
Do you think any of this two can take the external HDD? I will have a look around again.
Many thanks

Strawballs 09:48 24 Jun 2007

click here

Any help

mixmag 09:56 24 Jun 2007

thanks strawballs,
I have the HDD,which is USB. Would it be easy if I get a new HDD and connect it via the ethernet.
many thanks

mixmag 10:10 24 Jun 2007

hi there
I modem is not a problem to get as long as the router with built in printer server will take the HDD. freecell has pointed the netgear FWG114P prosafe, which has a printer serve, modem and router all in one and if it take the HDD would be job done.

FreeCell 13:04 24 Jun 2007

Mixmag
Ashrich is right you need a modem to go with the FWG114P

If you have an external HDD already then you can use a LinkSys net storage link.
click here
( I use one of these and it works very well, just remember to update the firmware to the latest version) With this you can connect two external HDDs or USB memory sticks to your network.

However if you are prepared to do a bit of work and download the right software you can make this device into a print server as well. Its a linux box and so there is a variety of non-commercial firmware upgrades that provide different functionality. See click here for more information.

Question becomes how much you can afford and whether you want to re-use existing kit. There are separate NAS devices available that reduce the clutter but generally cost more. You would still need print server ot network enabled printer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?