modem router problem...

nph 17:20 18 Mar 2006

I've just bought a Philips ADSL SNA6500 modem router.

I can connect to the internet via the network cable but not wirelessly. If I try to connect without the network cable connected, I get the internet dial-up box, which then does not connect.

I've been playing with this all afternoon, but now completely at a loss.

I've got an ACER Aspire 3000 with built-in Wi-Fi, my ISP is TalkTalk 1mb.

Any help would be grately appreciated!!

woodchip 17:46 18 Mar 2006

You have to go into Router setup page and make a note of SSID and any passwords etc. These have to be loaded into your Laptop WiFi settings

nph 18:13 18 Mar 2006

Thanks- I think I've set my router up correctly, I know the SSID name the router has given me, however there are no passwords that I can see.

How do I go about updating this information for my laptops WiFi settings?

nph 19:49 18 Mar 2006

I am now pretty sure I have set my laptops WiFi settings to match those of my router.

However, although I can connect wirelessy to my SSID, when I try to load Internet Explorer, I still get the dial-up box!

Can anyone help, this is driving me insane!!

thanks

ade.h 20:09 18 Mar 2006

1) Make sure that you have not yet enabled any security protocol.

2) You can connect to your network without entering any details manually, simply by picking it from the list of available networks that is launched from a double-click of the WLAN icon in the Notification Area.

3) Enter Internet Options from within the Control Panel or from the Tools menu of IE. Move to the Connections tab and select "never dial a connection". Apply and close.

nph 20:43 18 Mar 2006

thanks ade.h....but now I am confused!

I've spent hours trying to ensure that the secuirty protocol on my router and laptop match (your point 1). And also that I get prompted to enter a WPA-PSK TKIP key (your point 2) All of which I have just achieved.

I now dont get the dial up box thanks to point 3, but I still cant connect.

What still needs to be rectified?!

nph 22:06 18 Mar 2006

I've tried to connect with both WEP and WPA-PSK but still no joy. Anyone got any suggestions?

nph 13:20 19 Mar 2006

back to the top.....

acfc 14:09 19 Mar 2006

I use a Netgear router but hopefully the basics are the same.

Can you connect to the router via wireless to access the setup page by putting in the router address in IE?

If not then have you set up an Access List. If you have then you need to input the MAC address of your laptop for it to connect.

I think ade.h was suggesting disabling security on the wifi untill you get it working then set the WEP etc

nph 14:31 19 Mar 2006

I have previously set-up the MAC addresses for my laptop and network adapter in the routers set up. I obviously did this via the ethnernet connection though.

I've just tried to wirelessy connect to routers set-up page, but no joy....

ade.h 15:46 19 Mar 2006

Knock MAC blocking on the head; see if that changes the situation. If it does, then it was configured wrongly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?