Modem router compatibility question

handful 14:47 18 Aug 2010

The time has come for me to replace my ageing Dlink DSL-G604T router and I am confused with the available options. I have only got access to an ADSL Max ISP due to being in a BT Wholesale area so what do I need to look for in a suitable replacement for my Dlink? Can I choose an ADSL2 router? I'm trying to improve my wireless range as well so could do with a router with a stronger signal, would one with an 'n' signal be likely to give a better range? Any recommendations that would fit the bill would be most welcome because everything I have seen reviews for seems to get slated!! Many thanks in advance

Ashrich 01:18 19 Aug 2010

Pretty much any router nowadays should be Ok , although due to the many people having problems with them , I would steer clear of Belkin .

Personally I favour TRENDnet , although they can be hard to get hold of , almost the same in way of software\firmware are the DLink DSL modem routers , but they suffer from only having 10\100 ethernet .

As far as range goes , it is just as important to have a good wireless card in your PC as it is to have a router broadcasting a strong signal , they both have to transmit and receive so both must be compatible . If you can do a bit of homework you can match the wireless adapter to the chipset of the router , I find this makes a good bit of difference .

Finally , an ADSL2 or 2+ router will give you some future proofing should faster speeds become available , and make sure you get one that supports IPv6 , it's coming soon .

Ashley

handful 13:09 19 Aug 2010

Thanks for the advice, can I just confirm you are saying that it's fine to buy an ADSL2 modem router for an 8mb ADSL MAX service then?
Cheers

Ashrich 22:50 19 Aug 2010

Yes , no problems

Ashley

handful 13:26 20 Aug 2010

Thanks Ashley :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone