Modem Problems

Perks 12:08 15 May 2003

I have installed win 98SE on my system from a cold boot. Previous operating sytem was win 95.
I now have a problem in that the OS now gives me an error 603 and seems to think the modem is not connected. I have been through the modem install procedure and have indicated a 56kv90 standard modem from the list. One point the modem was called 56k Plug and Play on Com3 under win 95 but I can't find any reference to Plug and Play modem in the list and also I have lost Com3 under win98.Could this be a port problem? System is Compaq Deskpro 6000
Grateful for any ideas

Sketch 12:34 15 May 2003

I had a similar problem under Win98SE when I did a re-format about a week ago. I didn't recieve an error like you did, it just didn't know what my modem was.

This is what I did:

Right click My Computer. Click Properties.

Click Device Manager tab.

(Now this is where I discovered that Windows did not recognise what my modem actually was. It was under a heading 'PCI Communication Device', with a yellow question mark icon.)

I right clicked the device. Choose 'properties'. Then 'Driver' and clicked 'update driver'. From here I told Windows to look in the D:/ for my modem drivers (as you should have them on disc somewhere..) and choose the correct one.

The '56k' option that you choose as a default I did also initially. But as you say, it does not work. So if the above does fix the proble you can simply single click the device in the 'Device Manager' and choose 'Remove'.

Hope this is some use to you.

PS: If you don't have a valid modem. How did you make the post on this board???!!!! :o)

SKETCH

Sketch 12:37 15 May 2003

Your computer documentation/receipt/supplier should be able to tell you what the proper name of the modem is if you are unsure.

The supplier should also be able to direct you to a website where you might download the modem drivers if the disc has gone M.I.A......

:o)

SKETCH

Stuartli 17:49 15 May 2003

Try the generic modem version in the list when installing the driver.

Also, in System Information (Programs>System Tools>System Information) your make and model of modem should be listed.

Stuartli 17:52 15 May 2003

Here's an explanation of Error 603:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?