Modem problems

Juni 12:42 11 May 2005

When I try to connect to the internet, I get error messages asking me to check modem connections. I have checked that all is plugged in correctly, and run diagnostic check on the computer to check modem is installed correctly. There is no dialing sound from the CPU but the phone line is fine. There are no fax machines or other equipment that would affect connection. I have also tried a different modem cable but still nothing?

xania 12:53 11 May 2005

Is this a recent problem, or has the modem never worked? What OS? Have you tried using the dialler to ring another telephone number to see if the modem will dial out?

Stuartli 15:31 11 May 2005

The CPU doesn't dial out, it's the modem itself relaying a dialling signal.

Have you tried uninstalling the modem and then rebooting to allow Windows to reload the driver?

Eric10 15:54 11 May 2005

Try plugging the modem directly into your master phone socket (first socket where the phone line enters the house) with everything else unplugged. Just because a phone works in the socket it doesn't mean that a modem will. I won't repeat xania's questions but it will help in determining the nature of the problem if we know the answers. The modem diagnostic program only tests communication between PC and modem, it does not test between modem and phone line.

Juni 17:22 12 May 2005

Thnaks you to all who replied to my thread. Xania It is a recent problem and previously the modem was working fine. The OS is W~indows XP Home version 5.12600. I have not used dialler to ring another number - can you explain how I do that please (I.T. idiot in case you had'nt already guessed!!!)

Stuarti - I will try the above and then uninstall the modem and reboot.

Eric 10 I tried plugging the modem into a different phone line altogether - but still the modem was not dialing

Eric10 17:48 12 May 2005

If you don't get anywhere after reinstalling then I would think your modem has developed a hardware fault. A new PCI modem can be had for less than £10 and will come with its own drivers.

rossol 19:50 12 May 2005

have u got filters for all phones

Pathologist 18:34 18 Jun 2005

I think there's a recognised problem with modems and XP. It seems there's a thread on the MS problem site, but I haven't yet really looked.
My broadband one works fine, but my reserve dial-up won't. Device Manager says all is OK but, when I go into test mode it says there's a problem with the modem. Odd.

Stuartli 23:00 18 Jun 2005

I've used two different modems with XP Pro (apart from BB), a Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro and a "soft" £12 type - both work exactly as intended using the latest drivers.

In fact the Diamond is six years old and has progressed through 98, 98SE and now XP Pro; connection speeds have remained exactly the same at 49.2kbps for Tiscali and 51.7-52kbps with Pipex throughout.

Juni 11:27 20 Jun 2005

Sincere thanks to all who responded to my thread. The computer was fitted with a new modem and is now working fine - as to what went wrong with the old one - well that still remains a mystery.

Juni 11:27 20 Jun 2005

Sincere thanks to all who responded to my thread. The computer was fitted with a new modem and is now working fine - as to what went wrong with the old one - well that still remains a mystery.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017