Modem problems

ericbrad 22:24 09 Jun 2004

Thanks to Fruit Bat but have checked the settings,disconnect if idle box is not ticked.Perhaps I should explain the history of my PC. New machine from Carrera 3 months ago,worked OK for a while,then started shutting down with"System shutdown,shutdown was initiated by NT Authority system". System then shuts down and restarts. Contacted Carrera,who suggested I nave a virus or worm,and to place a shortcut on the desktop saying "shutdown -a" and to click on it to abort a shutdown, then to log on to "Microsoft.com/downloads" and to select option to check my pc for viruses or worms, and that once the on-line check was complete, I should be rid of the bug. So I tried that, and although the computer stopped it`s shutting down habit, it then started disconnecting from the internet every few minutes. So I could not get Microsoft to check my system. Further contact with Carrera by e-mail resulted in instructions to download new drivers for the modem (how do I do this with an internet connection that keeps disconnecting. Now Carrera will not provide any more software support unless I pay them about £45 per year. So can anyone out there help? ps. This e-mail is generated on my old Dan computer which is still working as well as the day I bought it 5 years ago.

sicknote 22:40 09 Jun 2004

Does it still say NT AUTHOURITY/SYSTEM shutdown when internet disconnects

2neat 22:48 09 Jun 2004

download the latest updates from ms. Burn erm to cd & install on new PC. Then go to ms and check for sasser etc. Run your upto date virus scanner.

VoG II 22:54 09 Jun 2004

Also download Stinger and run it from a floppy click here

The DCOM vulnerability is ancient and I'm very surprised that you were sold an unprotected system.

ericbrad 20:14 22 Jun 2004

to Sicknote, have been on holiday so a bit of a delay in my response. It says NT Authority System when the computer tries to shutdown,then I click on the "shutdown -a" shortcut which stops the shutdown. Then I can get onto the internet,but only for a couple of minutes. the internet logs itself off without any message,the dial up box appears for me to re-enter my username and password, I get back on the internet then the same thing happens.

end 20:41 22 Jun 2004

I am confused. did you intend sending an "envelope e mail", as i have received one from you but I do not think I ahve any expertise to offer you; unless you ahve an earlier thread going that I have contributd to on another matter?????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 22 Jun 2004

System shutdown,shutdown was initiated by NT Authority system".

Have had same problem tonight took me two hours to get system up and running again turned out to be a problem with a USB device.

Cured by unistalling all USB devices and reinstalling.

/\0/\

ericbrad 21:40 23 Jun 2004

I downloaded Stinger to my old computer,saved it on floppy and installed it on my new computer.
When I ran the virus checker it found that 247 files had been infected by the "Sasser.Worm.D.
Virus. It deleted all 247 files. The files were
all C:\Windows\System 32\ files, ranging between
10071_up.exe and 9937_up.exe.
I have not tried using the internet on it yet
(still using my old PC). Should the PC now be problem free?. How do I avoid getting the Sasser
Virus again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?