modem and/or router

edmoriarty 14:45 15 Feb 2006

Hello,

Forgive my ignorance. My Broadband provider sent me free modem which has a fixed cable coming from the box with a USB connection to plug into the PC. I want to set up wi-fi. Should I get a combined wireless router/modem, or can I just get a router? In the second scenario would the free modem plug into the router? What are my best options, and cheapest? Many thanks

LAP 15:01 15 Feb 2006

'Should I get a combined wireless router/modem' Yes.

edmoriarty 15:17 15 Feb 2006

thanks LAP, but if I want to (and it's cheaper) can I connect the modem to a router via USB?

LAP 15:29 15 Feb 2006

This I do not know. There may be a compatibility issue. I suggest you wait for someone with more knowledge.

LAP 15:43 15 Feb 2006

You've ticked. How did you get on?

keewaa 17:02 15 Feb 2006

As it is a USB modem you cannot connect it to a router, so buy an adsl wireless router (with built in modem). Even if the modwm had an ethernet port, adding a router is known to cause many probelms and often not work for adsl. Cable (NTL) is a different matter completely.

edmoriarty 17:30 15 Feb 2006

Thnaks all. I ticked by mistake, btw! I think keewaa has cleared this up for me. I'm going to buy a modem/router. Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?