Modem not installing

malarky 23:15 03 Nov 2003

A friend has a pc that had a new hard drive fitted. The modem will not communicate with the outside world. I put the modem in an old DEC pc and it installed as a "3COM WINDOWS MODEM TI" and connected through COM3 and it worked fine. I installed another modem into her PC, using the the driver disk and it put itself on COM4 and worked ok. When I try to put her modem on her PC, it sees it as a "US Robotics Sportster 33.6" and only gives the option to install on COM1 or 2 (but both show up twice on the menu). Both PCs are running Win98. Any ideas?

Diodorus Siculus 21:55 04 Nov 2003

Try removing the modem from the Device manager and try reinstalling again... it might be of some help.

A_World_Maker 22:00 04 Nov 2003

Is it a card modem or USB?, if USB you might need to udate 98 to SE status? and download the USB driver hub for 98?????

A_World_Maker 22:01 04 Nov 2003

My own previous setup, prefered that the modem was installed as a HSD device, for some reason, but worked ok.

woodchip 22:03 04 Nov 2003

It's a Card WinModem.

malarky
Where is the correct driver for it

woodchip 22:04 04 Nov 2003

PS its not a good idea to let windows load drivers

A_World_Maker 22:06 04 Nov 2003

Did you remove all traces of the old modem's software before installing?... as its only giving you the options of other coms 1 & 2 to connect, it might be the previous software is still hooked into the coms 3 & 4? Unless I am mistaken, the Com 1 is reserved for the mouse?

woodchip 14:04 05 Nov 2003

Go to Windows\Inf and look for an old Modem .inf file and remove it

woodchip 14:05 05 Nov 2003

PS that should be C:\Windows\Inf\Other folder

malarky 22:49 06 Nov 2003

Thanks to all who took the time to answer my query. Special thanks to WOODCHIP. I did what you said and it installed as 3COM WINDOWS MODEM TI on COM3.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?