Modem New Driver loses connection

prince midas 10:21 02 Sep 2008

Using a driver update program,it told me my Modem driver was out of date.
So I downloaded the latest update and then installed it and it said update succesful.
But when I rebooted I got no modem shortcut in my tray and I had to revert to a previous image to get an internet connection.

Did I do something wrong when installing?

Stuartli 11:18 02 Sep 2008

What type of modem are you discussing?

prince midas 15:08 02 Sep 2008

It is a Speedtouch 330 supplied by Tiscali.
Have not had any previous problem with it.
I wonder if because I pressed install after I downloaded it that it could not recognize the update.Should I have disconnected the modem before trying to install it because as soon I installed it ,lost my connection.

The odd thing is that using another update downloader it did not say I was out of date with my modem.

Condom 15:23 02 Sep 2008

I had the same problem some months ago when using a driver update program. I also installed the so called update and it would not work. It seems the update was not for the UK but for France. I rolled back the driver and everything has since worked OK.

Condom 15:24 02 Sep 2008

Sorry I should have said that I use the same modem but with Virgin and XP SP3

prince midas 17:13 02 Sep 2008

After reading the help files on the update driver program that keeps asking me to reinstall.It says that if a particular program keeps asking you to update it is a sign that the program is fitted on the motherboard etc and it will keep asking you to install because it does not know this.As regards the modem since I went back to an earlier image it as connected fine.

Stuartli 18:14 02 Sep 2008

The latest Speedtouch 330 drivers can be found at:

click here

Stuartli 18:16 02 Sep 2008

Also see:

click here

Stuartli 21:11 02 Sep 2008

You may have to reconfigure the modem if you install the latest drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?