modem lead advice please

  drdeath 14:37 01 Dec 2003

i cant find a lead going from my laptop into the phone socket for intenet use anywhere which A> is about 5/6 foot and B> Has a double adapter so i can plug laptoplead and phone lead into at same time please help have tryed most high st outlets

  [email protected]@m 14:40 01 Dec 2003

Maplins should have one.

  [email protected]@m 14:43 01 Dec 2003

click here

The double adaptor is a seperate item, but common as muck.

  pj123 14:43 01 Dec 2003

Did you try B&Q. You would need to buy a double socket separately to plug into your telephone input socket and modem leads are a common commodity. There are two types of modem lead (2 wire and 4 wire) You would need to know which one you want. If you still can't find one email me your address and I will send you a modem lead. You will have to get the double phone socket yourself.

  [email protected]@m 14:44 01 Dec 2003

Put modem lead in the search box, it didn't paste to the link.

  Stuartli 14:52 01 Dec 2003

A double phone socket from one of the discount stores such as B and M will be less than £2 - a considerable reduction on what some places charge..:-)

For those interested who have dialup connections, CPC in Preston click here sells a privacy double telephone socket.

This not only prevents someone cutting off your internet connection if they pick up the phone and start dialling, it also prevents people who pick up an extension phone(s) listening to a private conversation on the main phone.

My better half thinks it is very frustrating......:-)

  drdeath 14:56 01 Dec 2003

so how do i find out if modem lead is 2 or 4 wire??????

  SEASHANTY 15:05 01 Dec 2003

Most of the Pound shops have these leads plus the Double and even triple phone sockets. Also branches of Staples stock these leads. Also market traders. Much cheaper than computer outlets.

  Daveboy 22:56 01 Dec 2003

Why not fit a double outlet socket, much neater.

  woodchip 23:08 01 Dec 2003

Watch out that you get the correct Plug type UK and US plugs. Modem END is normally US type

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017