Modem installation trouble

tom0123 12:52 22 Sep 2004

I am at the present trying to install a modem (internal) in to a machine,and I am experiencing the following:
I am constantly getting the message "cannot detect modem be sure it is plugged in" etc,etc.
This is not the first time I have done this simple operation and on an identical machine it installed with no bother at all.
I have tried another modem that I know works and still the same problem.
Also, is a modem a PCI communication device? Since this window comes up every time I reboot and it shows itself with a conflict in the device manager.
Also how do I alter the port settings on the modem.
I should point out that the machine is using Win 98 SE.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
Wayne

quack 15:05 22 Sep 2004

Your modem is indeed a PCI Communication device. Try going to Control Panel - Modem and remove any modem listed then return to Device Manager highlight PCI Communication Device go to properties - driver- reinstall driver. Place the modem driver disk in your CD rom drive and allow Windows to carry out an auto search. With any luck it will find the drivers on the disk and will possibly show you a list. Make certain that you highlight the driver which corresponds to your OS click OK and you should be home and dry.

MichelleC 15:05 22 Sep 2004

Just a long shot, have a look in bios to see if modem has been disabled.

keith-236785 15:58 22 Sep 2004

you will probably find the modem is conflicting with another item (normally the mouse on comm port2.

to alter the port, right click "My Computer"

click on properties, click on hardware to enter the system (you can also use control panel/system) either way, go down the list to modems, click modems, right click/properties on the name of the modem you have installed and look in the lower pane to see if it says it is working ok.

if so then you could click the tabs at the top and see if you can change the configuration of the modem. (i dont have a modem or win98, so this is from memory) its a little tricky to get the right one, trial and error is the only way unless there was any instructions with the modem.

as you change the configurations, it will warn you if it has a conflict.

do one change at once then try to connect again. takes time but it should work eventually.

i think it is the Basic Cofigutation1, Basic Cofigutation2 etc that you need to change or even maybe the IRQ number

good luck

keith-236785 15:59 22 Sep 2004

sorry, click on device manager NOT Hardware (its hardware the device manager on XP)

Stuartli 16:42 22 Sep 2004

ARe you sure that you have the right driver for the right modem chipset?

If you go to click here you will be able to find the most current driver.

Uninstall (Remove) the modem, install the driver and then reboot to allow Windows to Add New Hardware.

Also, in Device Manager>Modem Properties is the device (i.e. modem) enabled in the menu on the General tab?

You should also enable Always Dial My Default ISP in your IE configuration settings and make sure that your ISP's dialup number is correct.

You also just may have a faulty PCI slot if two won't work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017