modem installation

ro1 15:40 16 Aug 2003

having replaced my modem with a Hayes - i now find that i am unable to connect with the internet....ha ve been through various checks, but it still comes back to the port...the modem is shown connected to COM2 but the device manager only shows COM1 help please...this is for hubby on a 98 second edition tiny....ttfn

Satmansq 16:07 16 Aug 2003

Have you fully read the instructions that you recieved with the modem and did you read the correct instructions for your operating system.

You should normally uninstall the original modem from the device manager before shutting down. then follow the installation process for the new modem, which quite often involves loading the drivers before installing the modem.

Hope this is of some help to you, good luck.

Satmansq 16:10 16 Aug 2003

sorry missed a bit

You should normally uninstall the original modem from the device manager before shutting down, and removing the old modem, then follow the installation process for the new modem, which quite often involves loading the drivers before installing the modem.

ro1 11:07 17 Aug 2003

hi satmansq - hubbys having real trouble - hes tried so many times to uninstall and install the new modem.......for instance when installed the ad/remove programme should appear, but doesnt, - im wondering if weve been sold the wrong modem this is a hayes but i see on the net there is a 'generic' for tiny -

Eastender 11:36 17 Aug 2003

I have found that deleting the modem AND the Dial Up Networking and then making a new connection and point the DUN to the new modem driver helps when installing a new modem.

Stuartli 11:43 17 Aug 2003

You may need to uninstall the original modem and its drivers from Add/Remove Programs (not always listed though), before installing the new modem drivers and then letting Windows Plug 'n Play the new modem's installation.

Modems can be a real pain sometimes, but having the very latest drivers helps - Tiscali's website downloads section includes drivers for a wide range of modems, but the manufacturer's website is usually the best bet.

Quiller. 12:00 17 Aug 2003

The easiest way to install a the modem is.

Turn off the machine and remove the new modem.

Boot up to windows and go to device manager. Now pick any reference to modem AND simple pci controller. Delete them all. Switch off machine.

Install new modem in the pci slot and boot up.

Windows will find it straight away. Insert the modem driver disk and point windows to the right folder. This will be on the instruction paper with the new disk.

Windows will load the proper drivers and not the generic ones.

Your modem will now be ready to use.

ro1 13:33 17 Aug 2003

hi all - thank you so much for all your information - yet again hes on his hands and knees unplugging everything etc. and that hard at his age and knee problems, hee hee i will let you know how he progresses.........

ro1 15:47 17 Aug 2003

modem installed according to pc, but no dialling tone - goes back to sunday when lightning struck- hubbys modem went, my pc was spat at, but survived..........still think it could use the 'tiny' generic modem - should we ask them to swap the hays they gave us or not........

Quiller. 16:14 17 Aug 2003

Try,

Go to control panel, modems, diagnostics,see which comm port has the modem and pick more info.

Is it registering alright.

Have a look again in device manager for any yellow exclamation marks, are there any?

If both are alright, I would suggest you try a telephone in the phone socket. If this is also alright, then change the modem lead from the modem to the telephone socket.

Last thing, does the modem have to input sockets. Is it in the right one?

Quiller. 16:16 17 Aug 2003

That last line should read, does the modem have two input sockets. lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?