Modem Firmware Update

Mike 21:36 08 Aug 2008
Answered

I have a Netgear DG834GT Firmware Ver. 1.02.04.

From the Netgear site the latest Ver. is 1.02.14.

Can I go directly to this Ver. without going through the others, and will I have to reset anything after the upgrade.

Regards

keverne 22:14 08 Aug 2008

If you are happy with the present performance of your modem then you'd be well advised to leave it at that.

On the other hand if you need to update the firmware you should be able to install the latest without any of the previous versions.

Once updating though I'd expect you to have to reset all your previous settings.

Mike 22:22 08 Aug 2008

Thanks daconnor, That's fine I can upgrade the latest.

I don't want to have to reset the thing least of all wireless setting. So if anyone can confirm I won't need to I will just leave it alone.

chub_tor 22:45 08 Aug 2008

I have updated the firmware on my Netgeat DG834 (non wireless} a couple of times and as far as I recall the only thing I had to re-enter was the User Name and Password so that I could see the router settings. I certainly didn't have tore-enter the Internet Login Settings

Mike 23:01 08 Aug 2008

Thanks chub_tor,

woodchip 23:14 08 Aug 2008

If it router Modem you are on about you should be able to create a backup within the Router settings. a firmware update should not change the settings. But as above if its working without problems why change it

Mike 15:54 09 Aug 2008

Hi woodchip, need to check the backup bit. Reason for update was recommended by TalkTalk when I complained about ADSL drop out.

They say all is well but would like me to use there modem as they can do better tests.

Today Speedtest is as good as usual but Internet Explorer crawling Windows Live Hotmail almost at a standstill. Sorry!!! not the moan forum.

This forum spinning nicely.

woodchip 19:11 09 Aug 2008

In your router, as you are on talktalk set the MTU to 1432

Mike 00:22 10 Aug 2008

Currently set to 1431, what difference will the "1" make. Don't like to change if I don't know the outcome.

Mike 00:26 10 Aug 2008

I Read this click here

Mike 00:45 10 Aug 2008
Answer

went here click here and was advised MTU 1431. I think I did this before that why its at that setting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?