Modem driver help

The Dazza 18:14 19 Aug 2006

I have a pc that has a modem but no driver. The machine was given to me without any drivers at all. I have a tool which usually finds hardware device details but this one just displayed "PCI\VEN_1039DEV_7013SUBSYS_70131039REV_AO\361AAA0100E".
I have looked inside the tower and in it is the smallest PCI modem slot & card in the world (well probably!)and has no sign of any manufacturer on it. Device manager doesnt help much either. Please help, I need the modem driver!

Jackcoms 18:22 19 Aug 2006

Download and run click here It should identify the make/model of your modem

The Dazza 13:59 28 Aug 2006

Does anybody else have any suggestions as the program recommended by Jackcoms doesn't state the modem make/model?

Eric10 14:26 28 Aug 2006

It sounds as if your motherboard has an AMR or CNR modem slot. If it's near the AGP slot then it's AMR or if it's at the outside edge of the board then it could be CNR. click here and look at the 2nd and 3rd pages to see the differences. There was a third type of modem used with some early PCChips motherboards which just had a series of pins on the motherboard that the modem plugged onto.
If you have a free PCI slot then your easiest way is to buy a PCI modem and remove the existing one. This will cost less than £10.00 and will come with a driver CD.
If you still want to try to find a driver for your existing modem then you should remove it and look for any writing and numbers on the chipset (you may need a magnifying glass). With this info we can start to find a suitable driver. Also please state what operating system you have.

The Dazza 14:29 28 Aug 2006

Windows XP SP2

jack 14:34 28 Aug 2006

Use the install feature, click on select from list, click on generic 56K modem[assuming that is 56k is what you have]
This will run it.

DieSse 14:43 28 Aug 2006

To try and identify the modem, try Everest (free) click here

The Dazza 14:45 28 Aug 2006

were do I find install feature?

Stuartli 14:46 28 Aug 2006

Have you tried Uninstalling the modem in Device Manager and then rebooting?

XP has a large driver base and may well Find New Hardware and the appropriate driver.

If not then Eric10's suggestion is the best solution, although I would express the view that a proper hardware modem is superior to the cheap modems (higher and more consistent connection speeds are much more likely).

jack 14:51 28 Aug 2006

Control Panel/phone modem options/modem/install new modem/have Cd or select from list/ select from list

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone