modem can you have two

cefn8 21:46 24 Feb 2014

Hi all can you have two modems on the same phone line as i have a old computer that is not wireless and would like to set it up in a different room .

Thanks in Advance
                                                       Cefn
  wee eddie 23:29 24 Feb 2014

You buy a Home Plug Set and use the old PC on that

onthelimit1 12:02 25 Feb 2014

When you say 'modem', do you mean 'modem router'? A router will have two or more ethernet sockets on the back - one of which can connect to the homeplug that wee eddie suggests

rickf 08:51 26 Feb 2014

I assume you already have a modem router already for your main computer. Just buy a wifi extender Cheaper than a set of home plug) and plug that into a 3 pin socket near your old comp and connect with RJ45 as you don't have wireless on this ageing comp. Bingo!!

wee eddie 09:34 26 Feb 2014

If you decide to buy one of the many varieties of Homeplug, they are very useful to have around, may I recommend that you get the type that allows you to carry on using the socket.

In other words "a Pass Through". They look something like this Other types available and connect straight into the mains, not through an Adaptor or Socket Bar.

EliseM 07:03 05 Mar 2014

I use wifi extender too and it works fine. It can slow down your speed occasionally, but it's not that bad to be called a problem

alanrwood 11:30 06 Mar 2014

To answer the original question -- NO if they are both switched on at the same time. If only one is switched on at a time then can't see any reason why not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?