modem

ann-199314 23:01 27 Mar 2005

Can somebody please explain to me that if I download the modems from AOL even though I haven't got that particular modem, does it actually download on to my pc. I have a Zoom ADSL modem because my old AOL modem was apparently out of date and I was told I had to upgrade. I was waiting for a new modem from AOL but it took so long I went out and purchased a new modem. Sorry if this all sounds a bit double-dutch. If somebody can explain it might help me a lot. thanks again. Ann

THE TERMINATOR 23:36 27 Mar 2005

Do you mean the drivers to download? If this is the case then they will down load as an exe program and will only be installed when you double click on the file. But if you don't want to install them then don't double click.

THE TERMINATOR 23:37 27 Mar 2005

Or don't download them in the first place

LastChip 23:42 27 Mar 2005

The modem (as I'm sure you appreciate) is hardware - you can't download it.

There are several aspects to your question, that I think I may be able to throw a little light on, but other pieces in the puzzle are not so clear.

It seems that you suspect your old modem is out of date. I'm not sure what you mean by that. An ADSL modem (as far as I am aware) has not changed since it's launch. Broadband in the UK comes via one of two sources; BT Wholesale or Cable. No matter who your ISP is, they have to use one of these two options.

The key to AOL, is its insistence on using proprietary (non-standard) code to make the connection. But this should be made through software on your computer, rather than the modem itself. Routers are different animals, and can be AOL compatible or not, as the connection is generally made from the router.

The quick answer is, you can't do any harm, so plug it in, try it and see. But do follow the installation instructions carefully, as they may require you to plug in the modem at some point during the (modem) software installation, so read the instructions carefully and follow to the letter.

Once the modem is installed, click here for a guide to the required settings for an AOL connection. This guide refers to the Speed Touch 545, but should work (I would think) with any other modem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?