Mobo Fan Can i use G card fan

ACOLYTE 12:48 27 Aug 2005

My Mobo fan is making some iffy noises,i was wondering if i could take one off an old G card i have and use this,they look about the same but i am not sure on the RPM of each.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:53 27 Aug 2005

Better to be safe than sorry!

buy a new one immediately, If the CPU is not cooled sufficently it will become usless in seconds.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:54 27 Aug 2005

Better to be safe than sorry!

buy a new one immediately, If the CPU is not cooled sufficently it will become usless in seconds.

Chegs ® 13:11 27 Aug 2005

I have used GC/PSU fans(as CPU cooler)for a variety of reasons,with never any trouble.(only on my "spare" PC,which is a testbed for OS/hardware,etc and if the experiment fails and the hardware dies,no great loss)

ACOLYTE 13:14 27 Aug 2005

Its not the CPU fan its the chipset fan only a small thing say 1" by 1".

Belatucadrus 13:36 27 Aug 2005
  ACOLYTE 13:39 27 Aug 2005

Thx for the link Belatucadrus but that looks different to mine,mine is just a fan on top of a gold heatsink with 8X agp wrote on it,there is no thermal tape i can see,would this be the same thing?.

Belatucadrus 19:37 27 Aug 2005

The fan in the link is specifically for MOBO chipsets and the primary fixing method with that example is double sided adhesive thermal tape.
As you can see if you look at the range of VGA card fans click here they usually attach to the graphics card circuit board using clips that fit through a couple of locating holes. As such the Akasa cool blue is not the same as the unit you have.
But if your MOBO has mounting holes next to the mobo fan, of the same size and spacing as the graphics card then you may be able to swap the existing fan for the card fan. I don't think that the operating speed will be a problem IF it fits properly, as many MOBOs have smallish passive heatsinks on the chip and a graphics card fan unit should be more than adequate.

ACOLYTE 09:44 28 Aug 2005

Thx for the info.I will give it a try.

ACOLYTE 09:44 28 Aug 2005

Thx for the info.I will give it a try.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone