Mobiles in the US

  ADSL jun-kie 17:43 16 Jan 2003
  ADSL jun-kie 17:43 16 Jan 2003

Is it possible to use my PC to alter my mobile phone settings so |I can use it in the US

Or is there a non-PC way to acheive the same thing?

  Terrahawk 17:56 16 Jan 2003

i wouldnt have thought that would be strictly legal if indeed possible if you are going short term i would suggest contacting your mobile operator who should be able to arrange hire or point you into the direction of where to hire compatible handsets

  cherria 18:01 16 Jan 2003

Its not a software on the phone issue, its the hardware. It must be physically capable of using a different frequency to work.

You need a tri-band phone.

So, simple answer, I believe, is no.

  €dstow 18:09 16 Jan 2003

It used to be that you could hire mobile phones at US airports. The deposit was fairly hefty but you got most of it back when you returned the phone in good condition.

Not been for a while but it may be worth asking the airline/travel agent.


  Gemma 18:09 16 Jan 2003

The US uses a different radio frequency band.
As Cherria says, if you want service in the UK, Europe and the US, you need a triple band phone.
Make sure that your UK network will allow you to roam in the US, they may well ask for a pre-payment on account.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?