Mobile Phone as a modem?

duartexas 22:26 03 Jan 2008

Ok as a continuation of the subject and of my last posts, if I decided to connect one of my PC via mobile phone how is that possible? I have no clue about what sort of connections, set ups and software needed. Any info would be appreciated.

Strawballs 00:42 04 Jan 2008

Some Mobiles come with the software and connections needed, my daughter has had 2 motorola phones that charge and connect to pc via a small usb and the software that comes with it alows you to control just about everything from the PC.

dms05 09:44 04 Jan 2008

It depends upon the make of phone. Nokia for example have a range of connection software downloadable from their web site. You will also need a USB cable that's specific to your mobile phone (and the driver software). All of this assumes your mobile has a modem and that it's user configurable.

Many mobile phones act like Serial devices and the USB lead uses Prolific's RS232 to USB drivers.

Finally remember GSM modems are very very slow (9.6kb/sec) which is 1/6th the speed of a normal landline dialup connection and 1/100th the speed of even a slow ADSL connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?