Mobile Laptop connection

darrenaj 11:41 09 Nov 2004

I am buying a laptop for work. I need to connect to the internet while I am out. I have been told about infa red pc slots centrino etc. No one can tell me the easiest way to get connected. In a previous job I connected via my mobile to a zircom card but it was so slow. Can anyone suggest the best way now. Many Thanks

TomJerry 12:28 09 Nov 2004

If you do, you can get Vodafone Mobile Connect Card GPRS service, nearly as good as broadband.

£45 a month get you 150MB data per month, the card costs £85 click here

Other mobile operators also offer similar GPRS service

TomJerry 12:33 09 Nov 2004

Most laptop has InfraRed connection, if you have a mobile phone with infrared connection, you can connect laptop to mobile and then dial into a internet service provider, but you only get 9.6bps speed which is slower than normal dial up (54bps).

If your mobile has bluetooth connection, you need to buy a bluetooth adaptor for laptop because only very few laptops have bluetooth.

TomJerry 12:38 09 Nov 2004

centrino laptop means that it has WiFi capability build in. It can connect to internet wirelessly if you near a wireless access point (30meters). There are so called "Hot-Spot" around country, so you can get connection near a hot-spot. For example, many Starbuck coffee have hot-spot.

TomJerry 09:57 10 Nov 2004

If you want to connect in a hotel room with phone landline. You can dial into a 0800 number.

You can get a pay as you go card from click here, £10 will buy you 2000 minutes (34 hours).

g0slp 10:00 10 Nov 2004

Great link - I've been looking for something like that.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?