Mobile internet causing problem with home wireless

DANZIG 08:09 11 Feb 2009

I think...

I am on a wireless network at home which works fine after a few problems a few months back.

Yesterday I bought a T-mobile dongle thing that allows me to connect to the internet while mobile. It works great, in fact I'm on it now.

However, since I've used it I can't connect to my home wireless network.

Anyone any idea why??

mgmcc 20:32 11 Feb 2009

It could be a conflict between the two wireless systems operating at too similar a frequency. Try changing the Channel number in the wireless Router's settings.

Many "wireless" devices operate in the frequency range of Channels 1 & 2 so, if your router uses a low number, try changing to 11.

DANZIG 21:56 11 Feb 2009

Thanks mgmcc,

However I don't use the T-mobile dongle at home, at least I don't want to, but at the moment I have to.

Are there any settings I can change that would allow me to switch between the two? (IE Home wireless network / mobile access)

mgmcc 22:21 11 Feb 2009

I'm not sure that I understand the problem. I have a Mobile Broadband dongle on the "3" network and if I connect my Laptop to the internet with it, that doesn't prevent me from accessing other computers in the network "wirelessly" via the router (which is disconnected from the internet).

DANZIG 20:00 15 Feb 2009

I've just tried my normal internet service on my desktop PC which is hardwired to the broadband modem and it worked fine.

Still, though, my laptop simply will not connect, only to the dongle on T-Mobile.

Are there any settings that may have been changed in my lap top that would do this??

mgmcc 23:14 15 Feb 2009

If your laptop is running Windows, then I don't know of any reason why your wireless network shouldn't function normally when the Mobile Broadband dongle is online. I haven't experienced a problem in doing this.

However, with Mac OS X, the dongle does take over the computer's networking and it seems not to be possible to use the LAN while online with the dongle.

User-1229748 10:23 16 Feb 2009

no help i'm afraid but wireless connections can do strange things,when i was wireless here the loft conversion lights wouldn't work :o(

cumbriangeorge 19:48 22 Feb 2009

I bought my son a mobile internet +'free' PC. The mobile side works great but if he tries to access the internet at my place (LAN), he gets a
good connection to the wireless router but the internet will just not work. Even with the Vodafone software closed down. The only solution is to de-install the Vodafone mobile internet software. Not a show stopper but very inconvenient.
Maybe there is a setting which defaults to the mobile software for browsing, it's not obvious.

mgmcc 22:13 22 Feb 2009

When connecting to the router "wirelessly" without first uninstalling the Vodafone software, is the wireless adapter getting its correct IP address from the router, probably a 192.168.x.x address?

DANZIG 08:01 23 Feb 2009

How would you find that out? As in what IP address the home wireless should be connecting through??

mgmcc 08:21 23 Feb 2009

>>> How would you find that out?

Open a Command Prompt window {"Start > Run", type CMD and click OK) and, at the prompt, type...

ipconfig /all

...and press Enter. This will show details of all network adapters in the PC. With an adapter that is connected properly to the router, the Default Gateway and DNS Server addresses will be the *ROUTER'S* IP address and the adapter's own address will be in the same Subnet (IP address range). For example, if the router's IP address is 192.168.1.1 then an adapter connected to it will have a 192.168.1.x address, with only the final 'octet' (number) being different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?