Mobile broadband or mobile dial-up?

Graham. 16:43 15 Feb 2010

A friend has a caravan in the sticks. Looking at Orange and Virgin, they say only 2G available, not 3G. Could she use 2G to connect to the internet for browsing and emails? Would she need a dial-up dongle?

Technotiger 17:13 15 Feb 2010

Click on the Mobile Broadband Ad, to the right of this page - might present more options!

Graham. 19:31 15 Feb 2010

Does 3G come from the same transmitter for all suppliers, so if you can't get one you can't get any?

Technotiger 19:40 15 Feb 2010

Hmm, I don't know the answer to that one, but surely there is more than one transmitter around the country?

Maybe your question should be in the Mobile World forum (in the list on the left of page) - probably get more response there, and more knowledgeable answers!

Woolwell 21:13 15 Feb 2010

I don't think that there is such a thing as mobile dial-up dongle. A 3G mobile will connect at 3G if it is available or at 2G. You should be able to get internet at 2G but at a slower speed. For each mobile provider you need to look carefully at their coverage and then take some of it with a pinch of salt.
Does your friend have a mobile phone? Does it work well in the caravan's location? If it doesn't a mobile dongle will not.
Be wary of the costs of downloading internet data over a mobile network.

woodchip 22:50 15 Feb 2010

Also if there is a McDonald's Near, you can connect Free Hot Spot BB. No Cost I have used it in Wales

Graham. 23:00 15 Feb 2010

There isn't a McDonalds for miles - it's in the sticks.

Border View 23:37 15 Feb 2010

Has your friend looked at the coverage for other mobile broadband providers. I use "Three" in north Northumberland and it uses 3G. What about T-mobile wonder what their coverage is like. Best advice is to look at all the mobile providers and check their coverage.

woodchip 14:44 16 Feb 2010

T-mobile daughter uses it and best coverage

woodchip 14:45 16 Feb 2010

T-mobile daughter uses it and best coverage,

This is using the T-mobile USB dongle

Woolwell 16:56 16 Feb 2010

Orange and T-Mobile are planning to merge.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?