Mobile broadband limits?

Whiteadder310556 19:57 07 Dec 2008

What do mobile broadband mean in their small print "fair usage"? If you have PAYG and opt for a £10 a month that means 33Mb per day (1Gb per 30 days)as a limit. What happens if you go over that and how do they limit your usage?

MCE2K5 20:10 07 Dec 2008

Wasn't that hard to find, click here

Q. What happens if I go over my data allowance and am I charged?.

A. If you go over your allowance, you can still access the internet at broadband speeds, however you will be charged 10p per megabyte of data used.

Whiteadder310556 21:42 07 Dec 2008

Thanks, but that does not really answer my questions, what is fair usage. As I am PAYG I can't go over my allowance as such, because it just runs out!

theDarkness 05:00 08 Dec 2008

As MCE2K5 has mentioned, it seems to state on the website that even on PAYG you may be able to still access the internet after your limit runs out, but you will then be charged per megabyte of data downloaded afterwards. Have you tried to go over your allowance? Not that you should! If you use up more than 1 gig in less than a month, and your internet access simply stops working, then fair usage may not strictly apply to you, so you wont have to worry about any extra charges. If it was definately in your contract about fair use, and you manage to go over your limit whilst still being able to access the net, then they may decide to send you a bill. they may also have their own rules in the contract in which 'fair usage' may relate to the fact they do not wish you to use certain software such as file sharing whilst using mobile broadband, as an example, since its not really up to the job with high limitations on how much you can download per month.

Whiteadder310556 22:13 08 Dec 2008

But as a PAYG user I do not have a contract!

Sea Urchin 22:42 08 Dec 2008

I would have thought you must have signed some sort of contract to agree that you will spend £10 per month.

MCE2K5 23:25 08 Dec 2008

From this click here

Register a bank card on My3.

You can top up with £10 when you first register - £10 is the maximum first Top-up, as we need to verify your card details for your security protection.

Convert your £10 Top-up to a Mobile Broadband Add-on to get 1GB of data (If you don't, you will be charged £1 per MB).

After seven days, you can top up as often as you like, as much as you like.

MCE2K5 23:27 08 Dec 2008

Read from the top,

How can I top up? click here

MCE2K5 23:28 08 Dec 2008

IMPORTANT: You don’t need to log in to activate your Top-up voucher. But you must convert your Top-up to an Add-on, otherwise you'll be charged £1 per MB.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017