Mobile booster stuck to wifi antenna ?

keewaa 23:42 15 Mar 2006

I recently read an article about someone who stuck a mobile phone booster (the gold circuity thing stuck on the back of the phone) click here onto the antenna of their wi-fi router with great success in improving the signal.

Has anyone any experience or knowledge of this area ... could it be effective or is it a conn ?

dms05 08:41 16 Mar 2006

You can buy various add-ons like this. Some claim 6db improvement. They are making the antenna directional which may have the added effect of making your WiFi less visible to others (equally it may make it more visible depending upon the direction of the beam focus). The one on the back of a phone will be for 900/1800 GHz as used by mobile phones whereas WiFi is 2.4 GHz so the antenna effect won't be as effective but it will work. Take a look at the link for a cheap and effective solution for WiFi click here

keewaa 08:54 16 Mar 2006

Thanks for that dms05. Do you know if 2 of those would fit the Belkin F5D7632 (2 antennae) or would they hit in the middle and not be properly adjustable ?

Is it the GHz of mobile phones or the power of the transmitters that allow them to pick up mobile signals very well .... pity wi-fi home routers hadn't been allowed a bit more power /whatever to allow them to reach everywhere in the house. I guess it's either because of the law or cost.

keewaa 09:05 16 Mar 2006

Is there any easy way to improve the wifi power of a laptop's inbuilt wifi card ?

dms05 09:10 16 Mar 2006

Why not try just one? Or is your Router fitted with a Receive and a seperate Transmit antenna? Just using one may allow you to focus one beam whilst leaving the other omni-directional. Depends upon your WiFi equipment. The best solution is adding another antenna if your Router has the capability. For real boost look at click here
that claims reception at several kilometres.
My D-Link has removable antenna and you just screw the above into the socket left free.

dms05 09:16 16 Mar 2006

I've never come across any designed for laptops with mini-pci cards. However you can buy antenna with a lead that will fit a mini-pci card as used in laptops. I've tried one and it made zero difference to the laptop WiFi performance. I've just bought an Acer laptop with a technology called 'SignalUp' and that produces a much better signal (poor becomes very good - for example).

click here
for antenna for use with min-pci cards (but they are for laptops with slots but no antenna built in).

Danoh 12:42 16 Mar 2006

keewaa; have you tried setting your router to just use 803.11g if all your clients can also use 803.11g (or also be set to just use g)?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?