MMC cannot open file?

LAPTOPBABE 10:20 17 Nov 2008

This problem is on my neice's laptop, she gave it to me as she appeared to have no space left on her 'c' drive, i sorted that for her by moving some stuff (only files) and i wanted to check something on the devise manager and couldn't get in, also I cannot access windows update to check for any udates, the screen just comes up saying the web page is not accesible or something. Also a very similar message to the one below when i try to go to disk defragment. It is windows XP and is only about 2 years old. This problem may have existed before she gave me the laptop, we are not sure on that
The message is
MMC cannot open the file c:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc
This may be becuse the file does not exist, is not an MMC console, or was created by a later version of MMC. This may also be because you do not have sufficient access rights to the file.

On this last point, I am using my neice's log in screen and she is the administrator. i have checcked on line and tried a couple of things put nothing has worked yet. there is not much which makes any sense to me.
please can someone help me?
Cheers

chub_tor 10:28 17 Nov 2008

Microsoft's fix click here

LAPTOPBABE 19:41 17 Nov 2008

Hi This is the one I tried and i got as far as loading the third one and it didn't work on the last one, so i think this was the missing file. anyway i decided to reinstall windows from scratch and i am now in the process of putting everything back on. Thanks anyway.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017